MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Modeling octagonal bulge shape

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pravin ChotteraModeling octagonal bulge shape
by on Mar 5, 2014 at 11:01:46 pm

I'm trying to figure out the best way to model a particular shape, and I keep getting imperfections and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what might be the best approach.

This is what I'm working on:

As you can see, there is a shiny octagonal area in the center that is rounded so that it reflects the circular soft box in front of it. If you watch the top left edge, you can see that the reflection ripples as it glides over shiny surface, and as far as I can tell, it is because there are imperfections in the geometry of the surface that is resulting in a distorted reflection.

The shape I'm going for is kinda like the cap of an oil tank, except that the cap starts from a rounded octagon shape instead of a circle.

I'm currently using lathe nurbs over a couple different shapes:

The imperfections are probably coming in part from the fact that I freehanded the transitional shapes. I started with the first rounded octagonal spline (which was created by someone else in illustrator), duplicated it a couple times and then moved points around and resized.

I am going to try using illustrator to create the transitional spines (just so they are accurate), but I also tried modeling the shape from scratch (low poly cylinder to hypernurbs) which looked like crap.

Other than perfecting the splines, I'm out of ideas.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Modeling octagonal bulge shape
by on Mar 6, 2014 at 4:39:55 pm

One thing you could try would be to make the loft editable. Then select the interior points and use the Iron tool with a lowish setting to smooth things out.

Return to posts index

Pravin ChotteraRe: Modeling octagonal bulge shape
by on Mar 6, 2014 at 6:07:02 pm

Wow! That took the wrinkles right out :)

Thanks so much for your help Adam. I've seen your posts on some other threads in the forum. Really appreciate your contributions to the CC community!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved