MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

After Effects Composite shadow for a Rigid Body simulation using Instance

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael GarskeAfter Effects Composite shadow for a Rigid Body simulation using Instance
by on Mar 2, 2014 at 5:32:06 pm

R15 Studio
AE 12.2.1

I have a floor with a collider body tag and an object with a rigid body tag. I'm trying to composite the shadow of the rigid body object in After Effects using an instance as the shadow caster. But when I apply the rigid body tag to the instance to replicate the simulation it's interacting with the object itself causing the two to bounce off one another.

Is there a way for me to exclude the instance shadow caster from interacting with the actual object? Am I going about this entirely the wrong way?

I'm very new to Cinema 4D so thanks so much for your time and knowledge!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: After Effects Composite shadow for a Rigid Body simulation using Instance
by on Mar 2, 2014 at 5:44:57 pm

I don't understand. Why are you using the instance object instead of just rendering out a shadow pass?

Return to posts index

Michael GarskeRe: After Effects Composite shadow for a Rigid Body simulation using Instance
by on Mar 3, 2014 at 12:28:00 am
Last Edited By Michael Garske on Mar 3, 2014 at 2:14:07 am

I saw a tutorial recommending that I use instances to single out shadows in AE.

Thanks for the advice for multi-pass output. I was able to bring a shadow layer into AE using multi-pass but the shadows aren't displaying correctly in AE for some reason. Here are a couple of screen shots for my scene setup if it helps.

I know I can get the shadow back if I put the floor and bone on the same layer but then I won't be able to composite the shadow separately.

It looks like the Global Illumination is rendering differently as well. I'm brand new to this workflow so I'm not sure what I could be missing. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Michael GarskeRe: After Effects Composite shadow for a Rigid Body simulation using Instance
by on Mar 3, 2014 at 4:51:53 am

I figured it out. I just needed to set one cineware layer in AE with both the floor and object to a shadow pass. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]