MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Problems with OBJ Import from XSI

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karim DaireProblems with OBJ Import from XSI
by on Feb 21, 2014 at 2:35:16 pm

I am a Cinema Noob and usually just use basics to get into Element/After Effects to animate/render.
I got a model that was made in SoftImage, exported to DAE and OBJ and I get very strange results on some parts of the model where shading/reflections are inverse. Its especially strange that this seem to be random elements of the model while the rest is absolutely fine.

In Element I can fix this by using "Auto Normals" but the object becomes a lot less smooth and quality degrades.

I checked in Cinema and some of the normals (not all) seem to be inverted. Anyway, when using recalculate/invert normals that does not fix the problem too. I get the same results as in Element when removing the Cinema Phong tag from the meshes... shading is OK but the mesh becomes a lot more edgy.

We managed to fix this through importing to Blender and recalculating normals there and exporting back to OBJ but I wonder how you can solve this in Cinema directly.

Does anybody have experienced similar problems with OBJ/DAE files... is the XSI-> Cinema workflow the problem or the exchange formats?

Thanks for any hints in advance,

Freelance Cutter, Compositor and Animator from Hamburg/Germany

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Problems with OBJ Import from XSI
by on Feb 21, 2014 at 4:28:14 pm

You should be able to fix it in Cinema using the "align normals" command, but if the object also has a normals tag that could mess things up. If it does I would try deleting the normals tag and see how it looks. You may also have to adjust the settings in the phong tag.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved