MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Material transition across a single object

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David GruwierMaterial transition across a single object
by on Feb 21, 2014 at 12:37:19 am

Is it possible to do a material transition in C4D over a single object, using something similar to effectors?

I need to be able to control the transition using a null or something similar.

My initial idea was to use black/white mograph colors on the alpha, and a plain effector going from white to black. But that only works per object, and not on a vertex/point basis, so I can't make the material move across the object.
My other though is to use some kind of vertex painting, but I can't figure out how I would link it to a null or do it based on the hierarchy somehow.

My last resort would be to use a gradient and animate the coordinates or something like that, but I would have to do it manually, and my animation is pretty complex.

Any ideas? Hope it makes sense :)

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Material transition across a single object
by on Feb 21, 2014 at 1:22:37 am

http://biovisioning.com/C4D_Stuff/C4D_Links.html - ancient stuff check out the SLA explorations - SLA was long ago absorbed into C4D and the Proximal stuff that's interesting for what you want.

and

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/tutorials/how-to-use-vertex-maps-and-xpres...

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Material transition across a single object
by on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:44:56 am

You can create an Xpresso tag that accesses an Effector's Strength at every point of an object and passes that into a Vertex Map.

Here's a simple example.

7152_materialwipe.c4d.zip

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Material transition across a single object
by on Feb 21, 2014 at 4:13:46 pm

I realized I should mention that in the example the top material's alpha is transitioning on as the bottom is transitioning off. Technically that's not necessary, only the top material needs to be affected, but I thought it might provide a little extra insight :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]