MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

HDRI 360 scene

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Grant
HDRI 360 scene
on Feb 17, 2014 at 9:31:04 am

hey all I have been using cinema 4d and I am pretty stuck at the moment with the current job I am working on and have no-one I can ask for help. I am trying to make a scene that uses a HDRI image sphere to illuminate it and use as the backdrop. The problem I am having is that my geometry is floating. Even when I do a shadow catcher. The same issue is in keyshot. Is there a way around this.

For example I have a car that I want to rotate the camera around and then replace either the car or the image to create a new scene. So if I wanted a rural environment, I would change the HDRI image and bang, I have a rural scene. Most of the HDRI images will be similar per environment. Like 3 rural shots, 3 urban shots, 3 studio shots and 3 showroom shots. So all I will have to do is change the image to make a new scene with a little tweaking.

Jacob Javan Grant
3d Animation/Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: HDRI 360 scene
on Feb 17, 2014 at 4:14:55 pm

What version of Cinema and what GI settings are you using?

Return to posts index

Jacob Grant
on Feb 17, 2014 at 4:18:27 pm

R15

Jacob Javan Grant

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Feb 17, 2014 at 4:45:42 pm

And your GI settings?

I would try the exterior HDR preset to start. Increasing "color refinement" in the irradiance cache tab will improve the shadow quality, which should help. You might also add ambient occlusion to help ground the car.

Return to posts index

Jacob Grant
on Feb 17, 2014 at 5:38:10 pm

hey appreciate that, will give it a try.

Jacob Javan Grant

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:22:05 am

I'm not sure that I understand exactly what the problem is. Can you provide some more detail about what is not working as expected? Is it the lighting, the shadows or the contact with the scene that is failing?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jacob Grant
on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:31:49 pm

Hi mate, yes. Its the contact with the scene that's failing. I made a sphere and added a lumen hdri to light my environment. I then added a ground plane to catch my shadow with, and then imported my car. Where I move the camera around my scene, It looks like my car is floating around. If you get my meaning.

In keyshot, you can add a hdri background and once you import a 3d object, it automatically creates the shadow, but when animating the scene. The object starts to float around and you get texture stretching around the edges.

Not sure if there is anyway around this.????

Jacob Javan Grant

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:16:25 am

I'm not familiar with Keyshot.

The only way I'm aware of to get a ground plane out of a Spherical HDR that makes contact with objects in Cinema 4D is to apply the HDRI to a Floor object with a Spherical projection and move the center of the projection up from the Floor object (start around 10m up and adjust as necessary). You'd also want to flag the Floor as a Compositing Background using the Compositing tag.

This does not give a perspective correct rendering of the ground plane. The projection gets worse as you move farther from the center. The stretching you get on the texture as you move away from the center will be more noticeable with an HDRI that has objects that should have height (but won't because you're projecting onto a planar surface).

Short answer: I'm not aware of any really good way to do this.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]