MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Soft body sphere bouncing but not touching collider

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Guy SlatorSoft body sphere bouncing but not touching collider
by on Feb 8, 2014 at 12:55:59 pm

I'm just brushing up on my tracking skills, shot some video of the steps outside my house with some tracking markers, tracked it and loaded the data into cinema 4d R15.

I've built up some proxy geometry for the steps and the wall next to them and figured I'd do a simple bouncing ball test to check it. I had to reshape the planes a bit to fit a little better with the shape of the steps, so I set the collider body shape for each plane to static mesh and I had to tweak the steps per frame setting slightly to stop the sphere going through the planes. I've put a soft body tag on the sphere, turned off self collisions, bumped up the stiffness and added a custom initial velocity to get the sphere to bounce at the top of the steps, bounce off the wall and then bounce down the steps.

At first I thought it was working fine, until I looked a little closer and realised the sphere isn't actually making contact with the planes, it's bouncing and from a top angle it looks fine, but at the start of the shot the camera is down low at the bottom of the steps and you can clearly see it bouncing too early.

I set up another project and created a plane with some dips and bumps in it and created a sphere and set them up with the same settings and it seemed to work fine. The project settings are the same, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Soft body sphere bouncing but not touching collider
by on Feb 8, 2014 at 5:15:42 pm

My guess is that you need to adjust the scale setting in the Project Settings>Dynamics>Advanced tab. The scale should match the diameter of your bouncing ball. You may also need to adjust the collision margin which you can do globally in project settings or per object in the dynamics tag.

Return to posts index

Guy SlatorRe: Soft body sphere bouncing but not touching collider
by on Feb 8, 2014 at 5:45:10 pm

Thanks that's great. set the scale to the diameter of the sphere, took the collision margin down to 0.25 and increased steps per frame and it's working perfectly. Thanks very much for the advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved