MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

controlling hair curl with more precision

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Swartzcontrolling hair curl with more precision
by on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:05:42 pm

I am trying to create curly hair on a model. The length of the hair around the ears is short, maybe an inch long, while near the top center of the head, the hair is longer closer to 2 inches. So, on the side, I want to get the hair to curl pretty much the whole length. However, where it's longer, I don't want the curl to be as pronounced. I want it to start the curl maybe halfway up the length of the hair with the first half just being wavy. I can't seem to get it with the hair material and the only other way I can think of is to manually try to sculpt all the hair guides which could be quite tedious and time consuming. Anyone know how to do this with the hair material and maps? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: controlling hair curl with more precision
by on Feb 7, 2014 at 5:33:40 pm

in the Hair material/Curl tab go into the Advanced section and use the spline graph there - the left side is roots the right side is tips - keep the spline close to zero for no/low curl let it rise to 1 for max curl. There is a picture in the help for hair material which shows it well

Return to posts index

Geoff SwartzRe: controlling hair curl with more precision
by on Feb 7, 2014 at 5:39:20 pm

Thanks but I tried that. The issue with that solution is that the spline is basically uniformly applying that curl to all hairs. In my case I need the shorter hairs all completely curly while only the longer hairs on top to only be about half curly. I may try creating two different hair objects and then using a density map to modulate between the two. In that case, the curl spline may be more useable. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: controlling hair curl with more precision
by on Feb 7, 2014 at 6:12:44 pm

you can also apply a different hair object to different poly selections of the same object

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: controlling hair curl with more precision
by on Feb 8, 2014 at 5:46:57 pm

Another option is to apply different hair materials to the same hair object via hair selection tags.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]