So as you can tell from the picture below, I've modeled a banner that I like to see unfurl towards the ground. I've made it a cloth object, fixed the points on the one end so that it will unroll from that point. But as you can see, I'm getting a lot of overlap/bleed through as it unrolls. It doesn't look too bad with a simple texture mapped onto it as in my example, but it will be glaringly obvious once I get something more complex on there.
So I'm kind of stuck at this point. Any advice would be helpful since this seems like a somewhat simple procedure.
I've obviously turned self-collisions on, and have done a lot of tweaking of the sub sampling and EPS values with no real noticeable difference.
That's a tough one for cloth to handle. What I might try to do is make a duplicate of the banners and animate the second copy unrolling via a bend deformer. Then bake both copies to PLA and set up one as the morph of the other using the pose morph tag. Finally, I'd use a morph deformer with linear falloff to keep the bend deformer animation on the roll while allowing the cloth animation to affect the unrolled portion. I think that would work, but I haven't actually tried it so I can't guarantee it.
Thanks Adam. I figured it might be too much for the cloth simulation. Your method seems like it would work but I had already experimented with another way.I lofted a couple of helix splines and used the spline dynamics tag to get the cloth look. However a new problem has cropped up.
So I duplicated the loft and made it an editable object so that I could have more control over the UV mapping. I then placed the pose morph tag on the editable object and referenced it to the original loft in order to maintain the unrolling animation. Everything looks good in the viewport except when I go to render. The pose morphed object won't render the pose. I just see the object in its original state. From what I've seen elsewhere online, it seems to be an issue of being in edit/animate mode, deleting the targets, etc. Switching through these options doesn't seem to work at all.