MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

how to clean up polys of basic shape

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay ingleshow to clean up polys of basic shape
by on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:45:59 pm

Hi, I've got a very basic shape that i've tried to clean up but not sure how to do so.

I was provided an OBJ and it imported incorrectly. Upon triangulating it to get the shape back, the polygons intersect each other. I tried using a Boole, but since the shape isn't closed it doesn't work.

How do I merge this so its one solid polygon (like a hollow xmas ornament)?

Thanks

7065_forumbasicshape.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: how to clean up polys of basic shape
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:14:40 am

that is seriously messed up topology - I don't think you can make it hollow there are too many polys that go through each other and everything seems to be connected to everything else, no simple interpenetrating objects just one object. Can you post the obj?

Return to posts index

jay inglesRe: how to clean up polys of basic shape
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:26:28 am

Thanks Brian. I've got 3 or 4 objs that are similar...low poly objects created what Blender I believe and output to OBJ. I'd remake them but they're not the based on primitives that Cinema is used to (from what I can tell).

Here's the original OBJ (needs triangulation and normal tag erased to show properly). It should look like this:

7066_geometry004.obj.zip

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: how to clean up polys of basic shape
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:01:33 pm

seriously messed. It appears to be in the original file or Blender doesn't do a good job of export. It looks ok in Cheetah (I just have a demo) but even there the polys are all interpenetrating. Can you get the original Blender file?
Otherwise it would be a pretty laborious job to delete polys leaving the vertices and redoing the polys by hand I would think. Or just leave it as you have it in C4D now, it will render slower due to the unneeded complexity but if you don't have too many of them (or they are render instances) it wouldn't be that bad.

Return to posts index

jay inglesRe: how to clean up polys of basic shape
by on Jan 29, 2014 at 8:38:15 pm

Thanks a lot brian. Even though its not officially resolved this confirms what I expected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]