MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Problem with timing on a gun.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Windsor
Problem with timing on a gun.
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:04:58 pm

I am animating a set of M60s firing and my client really wants the fire rates to match the real life gun. The gun fires at about 9 bullets a second. So currently keyframed I have it at about 7 bullets a second. My problems is that my keyframes are already only two steps apart and if I move them closer then the guns fire way to fast.

I tried using the Time scale to speed up the footage but it did not seem to work. Any suggestion on how to accomplish this?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Problem with timing on a gun.
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:13:04 pm

what is your frame rate?

Return to posts index

Richard Windsor
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:14:12 pm

30 FPS

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:27:31 pm

then each bullet should be 30/9=3.33 frames apart - because it's partial frame numbers you should only see a bullet from the muzzle (tight shot) every third frame but if you watch the bullet stream there should be the correct number of bullets.

Return to posts index

Richard Windsor
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:31:29 pm

I am not animating any bullets at all, just the kickback of the gun.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:09:08 pm

then you will see whatever you get when you have a frame rate that can't keep up with fast motion, eg. the 'wheels spinning backward effect' on tv and movies, you'd get exactly the same thing if the real gun was filmed at 30 FPS. The only way to get every motion is increase the frame rate a lot - 300 FPS would be pretty smooth likely - I don't have enough experience to know what the lowest frame rate you could use is but unless slow motion is what they want your playback speed of 30FPS is going to always limit -What is the final playback speed 30FPS? Or something different?

Return to posts index

Richard Windsor
on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:18:33 pm

I was planning on 30fps, its just an intro being done for a client with a youtube channel. I could bump up the frame rate I guess but I need to get it done soon and as is it already takes a long time to render, and my new Mac Pro doesn't arrive till friday. I could have just speed it up in AE once exported, but there are other moving parts to the animation and it would speed up everything. Maybe I can just do a render pass in C4D with just the guns (then composite them inside AE) and then speed them up a bit by themselves.

This is the intro that I am redoing.

This first version was done really quickly inside AE completely. I am remaking it fully in C4D with a different guns but gives you an example of what I am working with.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 29, 2014 at 4:25:31 am

As already noted, you can only render something as fast as the framerate allows. I think the way you get around it is to render with subframe motion blur.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]