MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Catwoman one mesh, 7 textures, selection tags

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason JantzenCatwoman one mesh, 7 textures, selection tags
by on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:15:48 pm

Can't post all my inquiry in the subject, but starting with that, I want to bake the textures into one single UVW texture. Everything I've tried yields really odd results and nothing close to the original mapping. I attached the file. I can imagine many of the suggestions will turn me to related tutorials where object baking is discussed. Trust me when I say it, I spent hours searching the internet watching tutorials and reading forums. I'm a pretty good internet detective but nothing I could find helped solve this problem.

7021_atkcloseback.zip

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Catwoman one mesh, 7 textures, selection tags
by on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:04:37 pm

I'm not sure that this is directly possible with the current UV layout. Most UV coordinates are assigned to more than one surface. There'd be no way to assign a different texture to two surfaces that share the same UV coordinate.

I think the only solution that would be relatively painless would be to select "Single Texture" when you Bake Object and disable "Keep UVs" (this will force C4D to use Optimal Mapping to eliminate overlapping polys in the UV) and enter a very high resolution for your output texture (4096x4096 at least) and perhaps some supersampling as well (that will slow down export). Obviously this could be problematic as you're now letting C4D determine the UV layout but it'd be faster than having to rework everything manually.

That said I'm not even sure if this will work in your case as the project file you uploaded did not include your source textures so I had to place proxy checkerboard shaders in the diffuse to test. With that in mind I was also unable to test baking the alpha as well as the normals.

To reiterate:

Keep UVs - Off
Single Texture - On

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Catwoman one mesh, 7 textures, selection tags
by on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:43:32 pm

It does seem to work -- at least for color. Didn't test normal maps which could be another kettle-O-fish. Also, you have to turn off the skin deformer before baking.

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Catwoman one mesh, 7 textures, selection tags
by on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:06:21 pm

Oops, you're right! I forgot to put the tex file in there. I think I figured out a solution for now. With Riptide export, which I'm using to export the OBJ sequence, you can export materials. You can't use the MTL file in Element, but suddenly now all the individual materials are present so I can reapply them in there. It's a little more work, but it works. I believe I've tried what you're talking about Darby, but I went ahead and did it again just to see and Element sees the texture as a big old mess still.

Skin deformer on or off doesn't seem to make a difference to the resulting baked texture.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Catwoman one mesh, 7 textures, selection tags
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 12:15:25 am

[Jason Jantzen] " I believe I've tried what you're talking about Darby, but I went ahead and did it again just to see and Element sees the texture as a big old mess still."

How does C4D see it?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Catwoman one mesh, 7 textures, selection tags
by on Jan 21, 2014 at 12:27:31 am

Here's the tex folder - tex.zip

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]