MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Baking Hdri image into an object to be used is scene without lights or HRMI

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Drescher
Baking Hdri image into an object to be used is scene without lights or HRMI
on Jan 15, 2014 at 11:15:25 pm

Hello:

I'm a bit stuck trying something new. I am using GreyScale Gorilla's HDMI kit to get reflection maps for a scene . no lights.
At the end of the day, I need to export a .3ds file with the reflection map and color baked in as a single texture, (tif) to be used in Real-Time 3d program which has no option other than to apply the texture as a UV or spherical image map.

So. in the Bake Texture settings,I ve trued just about every combination of check boxes and not. and am not getting what I want. (See image) If I try and place them on an identical object in a scene without the HRDI set up, just a luminance map, I'm not getting what I see int he first image.
I've watched half a dozen things online, and read even more. I'm usually not this dense. Any ideas appreciated.

...but then again.. who does?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Baking Hdri image into an object to be used is scene without lights or HRMI
on Jan 16, 2014 at 5:28:40 am

It looks like you're using "Bake Object..." which does not allow you to bake many of the material channels (including reflection). You should use the "Bake Texture..." function/tag instead.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 16, 2014 at 4:57:41 pm

That seems to be correct. Cinema's texture baking is confusing. After playing around with various settings in the bake texture tag, it appears that you JUST want to check the "surface color" box, which will bake lights, shadows, GI, and reflections. Hard to pick that up from the help file, which states, "The surface color contains the effects of numerous material channels, including Illumination, GI (see also Bake Object ) and cast shadows (not including Reflection, Transparency, Fog or Glow)."

Later in the help file section it says that reflections will be added automatically and that the reflection channel does not have to be checked?

Return to posts index

William Drescher
on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:20:28 pm

Adam:

I went down that road early.. Though the "preview" shows me the right image. when baked, I get black.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 16, 2014 at 10:40:56 pm
Last Edited By Adam Trachtenberg on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:18:35 pm

Huh ... it works here. But I think you need to check the "use camera vector" box, and also set a texture path -- not just type in a name. I also have the "single file" box checked ... not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:11:27 am

[Adam Trachtenberg] "Huh ... it works here. But I think you need to check the "use camera vector" box, and also set a texture path -- not just type in a name. I also have the "single file" box checked ... not sure if that has anything to do with it."

I was testing with only the Reflection channel selected in the Bake Texture tag.

If you do not check "Use Camera Vector" then the baked texture can be used in the Environment channel for a 'live' reflection (that responds if the camera is moved). If you do check the "Use Camera Vector" box then the baked texture can be placed in the luminance channel and will match the perspective from the active camera when it was baked only (if you use another camera or move the camera the reflection is stuck to the surface).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

William Drescher
on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:00:45 pm

Tried the Camera Vector check as well. Still get a good preview, but an all back image.

I wrote the folks at greyscale gorrila see if them have an idea.

..I'm a fan of NZ Rubgy, but not in my texture.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jan 18, 2014 at 12:15:04 am

The preview will look correct no matter which channels you have checked in the Bake Texture tag. I'd consider that a bug but it's likely because its showing a composite of all the channels (even unchecked ones).

The Surface Color channel does not bake reflections in my experience (and according to the documentation), you need to check the Reflection channel for that.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Bruno Depaoli
on May 9, 2015 at 5:28:03 am

I had the same problem. First I went to UVmap layout make a paint setup wizard. Then bake only reflection and it did work that way. I think you have to give the UV a color channel where to write the reflection. Does that make sense? Im no that sure, but it worked out

Return to posts index

Jan Vork
on Aug 1, 2016 at 9:33:55 am

Hi Darby,

Did you ever solve the HDRI-baking problem? I am experiencing exacly the same.
Not all reflections are reflected :-) in my baked reflection texture.

Return to posts index

Jan Vork
on Aug 1, 2016 at 9:48:14 am

Think I found the solution! At least - in my case this was the problem:
I created illuminating objects to reflect, which I gave a Compositing tag that hides them to do not appear in the render, only in the reflection. For some reaon this prevents them from appearing in the baked HDRI as well.

So the solution for me was: check the 'Seen by Camera' checkbox in the compositing tag.

This is a bug in my opnion, so I will report it to Maxon.

Best,
Jaydude

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]