MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Flat surfaces are "bumpy"-problem

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Janne LaihoFlat surfaces are "bumpy"-problem
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 3:34:42 pm
Last Edited By Janne Laiho on Jan 12, 2014 at 3:36:25 pm

I just got C4D Broadcast. For some reason, flat surfaces in my renders look bumpy or spotty (see attachement). This happens when I build a scene from scratch, so I don't have a bump map applied or anything like that.

In a higher res render the spots on the floor can be seen more clearly. Anyway, the floor looks like it has a bump map applied.

I have previsously used C4D Studio and this didn't happen then.

Any ideas on what's going on and how to resolve this? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Flat surfaces are "bumpy"-problem
by on Jan 12, 2014 at 7:24:00 pm

Hard to say without more info., but it looks like global illumination with too-low settings.

Return to posts index

Janne LaihoRe: Flat surfaces are "bumpy"-problem
by on Jan 13, 2014 at 3:25:28 pm
Last Edited By Janne Laiho on Jan 13, 2014 at 3:26:04 pm

Thanks, Adam. It seems to be the GI settings indeed.

I find this a bit strange, though. With everything else at default, the legacy irradiance cache setting gives quite acceptable results and very fast: similar in quality to when I set samples and record density to "high". However the same image takes 4 secs. to render with the former and over 2 minutes with the latter settings. The legacy irradiance cache method doesn't produce the bumps/spots.

Then again I'm really new to C4D and I guess I just need to learn GI more. However I do find it strange that a legacy method seems ok while any other combination of settings produce results that are not acceptable.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Flat surfaces are "bumpy"-problem
by on Jan 13, 2014 at 4:58:24 pm

Yeah, GI is a pretty complicated subject. Your scene is kind of a worst-case scenario for the new IR method vs. the old one. The advantages of the new system are that it produces much higher quality GI shadows and it's better for animation insofar as you don't have to calculate the whole prepass before you start to render.

The old system produces a cleaner looking result very quickly here, but it's really because it's just blurring the snot out of GI samples. Looks great in your scene, but if there was something casting detailed shadows those shadows would also be blurred out of existence.

I think the best, though not the fastest, setting for your scene is QMC as the primary pass with light cache for the secondary pass.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved