MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Rendering large image for print

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben bensozia
Rendering large image for print
on Jan 9, 2014 at 9:37:40 am

Hello,

A client has asked me to create an image of a false bookcase that can be printed onto a 2.5m x 1m sheet of vinyl to cover a wardrobe door. I think the image needs to have a relatively high resolution (300ppi) as it'll be being viewed from quite a short distance.

I want to render an image from a full bookshelf I've created in Cinema4D. What's the best way to go about this? Is it possible/advisable to render such a large image? Do I need to render it in sections? How do I do that?

Thanks a lot

Ben

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Rendering large image for print
on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:17:52 pm

Even at a short distance I doubt you would need to render above 200 lpi. At 300 lpi you would be looking at an image of around 300,000 pixels in width, taking up close to 100GB of disk space!

At any rate, you'll probably want to make use of the Tiled Camera preset that can be found in the content browser under Presets>Prime>Misc.

It will allow you to split your render into frames that you can reassemble in Photoshop. That will allow you to print enormous images.

Return to posts index

ben bensozia
on Jan 10, 2014 at 12:10:41 pm

Thanks a lot Adam, I'll definitely look into the Tiled Camera.

Could you resolve another doubt I have, how does the resolution of a bitmap used in a material affect the final resolution of a rendered image?

I'm quite a novice when it comes to 3D. I've created a lot of images of book spines in Photoshop to be used as materials in Cinema4D. As the final image is going to be printed, all the images are 300 dpi, because I wasn't sure if 72 dpi was going to be enough. Although, I have the sneaking suspicion that I could use 72 dpi images as long as the final image is rendered out at 300 dpi (or at least 200 dpi, as you suggested). Put more simply, does a bitmap used in a material have to be 300 dpi in order for the final printed image to have sufficient quality?

I apologise for the novice questions. I understand resolution when working in Photoshop, but I'm still getting to grips with it in 3D.

Thanks again.

Ben

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 10, 2014 at 2:01:38 pm

The main thing to understand about Cinema rendering and size is that the only thing that matters is the pixel dimensions. For example, if you render a frame at 1920x1080 and 75 dpi and another at 1920x1080 and 300 dpi, the images will have exactly the same resolution. The dpi setting just tells PS how big the image should be when printed.

As far as texture size goes, you want to make sure that the texture resolution is sufficient to equal or exceed the resolution that the textured object will have when it appears at its biggest % on screen. Since you're dealing with a still image, that % will be fixed, so it's less complicated than dealing with animation.

Using simple numbers, let's assume that your final output will be 1000x1000 pixels and the textured object will occupy 10% of the image. In that case you would need a texture resolution of 100x100 pixels or greater in order to avoid pixeliztion of the texture.

hth

Return to posts index

ben bensozia
on Jan 10, 2014 at 2:55:13 pm

That makes sense.

So let's say, for example, I want to print a life-size image of a book spine measuring 25cm x 5cm. Can I create a (25cm x 5cm) model in Cinema 4D, give it a material using a 142x709 pixel bitmap (the pixel dimensions of a 25cm x 5 cm image at 72ppi), render that to a 300ppi Photoshop file and print it life-size and retain the quality?

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 10, 2014 at 4:03:22 pm

Well ... no. ;-) Basically what you want to do is go into PS and figure out what the printing dimensions and ppi are, convert the width/height to pixel dimensions, and render at that size from Cinema. So in this case, a 25cm x 5cm file at 300ppi translates to 2953x591 pixels and that's the size you would render to in Cinema to produce the very best quality.

That said, CG renders generally scale up better than digital photos.

Return to posts index

ben bensozia
on Jan 10, 2014 at 11:24:34 pm

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

I've got about 200 books in the bookcase, each needs its own individual 25cm x 5cm/300ppi bitmap image. I've created and applied just ten materials so far and C4D has slowed down to a crawl.

So I can't see how I'm going to be able to do it unless I apply a material to just a small group of books, leave the rest blank and render the entire image (with the tiled camera) a number of times, changing which books have a material assigned each time.

Thanks a lot for the link, that would have come in handy earlier on. I'll keep it in mind for the next time..although I'll definitely think twice before starting something like this before!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 11, 2014 at 12:49:04 am

Yeah, that's just going to eat up an enormous amount of RAM. I would definitely consider going to 200 or even 150 dpi. At the very least find out who's printing it and ask what the recommended dpi is.

Return to posts index

ben bensozia
on Jan 12, 2014 at 6:53:09 pm

Yep, that's going to be the next step, I think. I'll find out what the minimum resolution it can be printed at is, then just try and do it in sections.

Thanks again for all your help Adam.

Ben

Return to posts index

ben bensozia
on Jan 16, 2014 at 4:09:53 pm

Hello, back again...

I'm having a problem with the tiled camera. It only appears to render the tiles that make up the central section of my image.

This is what I've done:

1. Set up the tiled camera with my main camera as its reference and set the tiles per axis to 5 (to get a total of 25 tiles).

Camera1:

Tiled Camera:

2. Set the render settings as follows:

What I want to achieve is a 13228x29528 pixel image of the entire bookcase. But, like I said, what the tiled camera gives me is just 25 tiles of just the central section.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks a lot,

Ben

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jan 10, 2014 at 4:06:32 pm

A little off topic, but if you're doing a lot of this sort of work you might want to check out this amazing plugin: http://nitro4d.com/blog/donationware/nitrobookcase/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]