MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Spline Wrap Alternatives? Ik-Spline?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael MaloneSpline Wrap Alternatives? Ik-Spline?
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 6:11:57 pm

The animation I need to replicate can be seen in this video (:34 to :53)

Everything I've tried so far has been based on using a Spline Wrap deformer and various ways of animating the probe tip bending. I first tried a bend deformer, but it was too difficult to get a natural looking bend. Almost worked. I then tried several ways of animating the spline path itself (a Pose Morph tag, a MoGraph plain effector set to be a point deformer). The problem is when you alter the spline, it's length changes which then makes the probe slide along the path. Spline Wrap will always keep the object at a specific offset location, and if the spline changes, the location changes.

Whew! Not sure that makes sense. Long story short... what would be a better way to approach this animation? An IK-Spline perhaps? I'm new to IK but if it's the right tool for the job then I can learn it.

Thanks, mike

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Spline Wrap Alternatives? Ik-Spline?
by on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:14:48 pm

I know what you're talking about, and it's a bit hard to deal with. If I was you I might give the bend deformers another try just because you can use the "keep length" option.

You might also try enabling the "fix bounding box" option in the wrap deformer.

If you need the object to slide along the spline then spline IK won't work.

Return to posts index

Michael MaloneRe: Spline Wrap Alternatives? Ik-Spline?
by on Jan 7, 2014 at 1:38:03 am

I do have the fix bounding box enabled. I think its mostly for consistency across systems and team render.

About IK-spline, I thought it might not work in the case where an object needs to travel along a spline. But I wonder if it could work by rigging the object then having the first joint animate along another spline with all other joints following along? I've never done an IK rig so I'm not sure that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Keosok SayRe: Spline Wrap Alternatives? Ik-Spline?
by on Feb 13, 2014 at 9:10:28 am

I have this problem too. pls everyone can help...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved