MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

C4D camera settings as it applies to real world projectors. Any plugins? requesting advice

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan JohnsonC4D camera settings as it applies to real world projectors. Any plugins? requesting advice
by on Dec 31, 2013 at 12:41:32 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice from fellow C4D experts in the field that have some experience as it applies to projects such as architectural video mapping, or "projection mapping" with real life projectors. I have to be careful with how I'm explaining this because I realize there is a close similarity in language with camera mapping or projection mapping in c4d.

Here are examples of what I'm talking about:

I have some very specific mapping questions, but also a general one as well.
I'm having a tough time really dialing in the camera of C4D so that is properly emulates a projector lens in the real world. In a perfect world, the camera would be placed at the same distance, height, and tilt of the real world projector. I could have 1 camera or 100 cameras, and each one of those would be each projector that is being shown.

I've gotten my settings so they are close, but without having to twist and warp the image slightly with mapping software (like resolume or coolux box) its not 100% accurate down to the pixel. I'm not sure if there is a plugin or any input from members that have experience with this.

I'd love some advice from experts out there. I know this is a closely guarded secret for a lot of companies, and a lot of companies use all kinds of various software (including custom mapping software) to really dial the animations in.

My workflow as of now is: CAD->C4D->AE->Resolume (I even have questions on this flow as well when dealing with multiple projectors)

Again, I feel I’m real close on a lot of this (either that or I’m WAY off base). I have spent a lot of time and have done a lot of research on this matter, but some of the fundamental questions still haven’t been answered to my satisfaction.

To me a single "camera" straight on shot is easy. There are tutorials out for this, and I know the whole trick with taking pictures of what you want to do, etc. This is the step beyond that where I would use real CAD of my set design whether its buildings or other large sets. It’s when I have multiple projectors shooting at different angles that things seem just a little off.

Please feel free to email me, or reply to this post. I really appreciate any help... if it’s out there to be given.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved