MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Modeling Ridges- Beginner- Best Practice?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caroline Quinn
Modeling Ridges- Beginner- Best Practice?
on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:01:54 pm
Last Edited By Caroline Quinn on Dec 17, 2013 at 3:06:15 pm

Hello,

I'm new to Cinema 4D- I have the newest Studio version- and I'm trying to model this product with a ridged/grooved/ribbed edge-
See picture:

ridgedproductedge.jpg

- and I'm not quite sure how to do this. I tried to make a cloner object and boolean a cylinder edge, but it turned into a bunch of triangles. I would appreciate if someone could tell me the best way to go about this- Whats the best practice to create these edges and duplicate them around a circle like that?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Modeling Ridges- Beginner- Best Practice?
on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:23:46 pm
Last Edited By Darby Edelen on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:26:05 pm

Booleans are evil.

Since this is radially symmetrical the way I'd do this is by sub-d modelling a very small section of the circle, say from one ridge to the next, and then cloning that geometry using a Radial cloner to create the full circle.

Take a look at this video for some inspiration:

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:47:26 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:16:10 pm

well, not evil but tricky - lots of pre-planning. Here's a test 6922_ridgestest.c4d.zip the only reason it works is because I worked out how many ridges there are going to be and adding enough subdivision in the cylinder before making it editable (keeping it a multiple of the number of ridges so it all comes out even). The amount of bevel on the 'knurls' is limited and can't go any further since it would run into geometry if it went any further and it needs that much subdivision to end up smooth in the end... Darby's right, subD modelling is better if you can master it since the end result would give you a lot more control over the bevels that are going to be needed

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 19, 2013 at 6:29:29 am

[Brian Jones] "well, not evil but tricky - lots of pre-planning."

Nope, just evil :)

Modelling works best with lots of pre-planning either way.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]