MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Ghost shadow with Global Illumination

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anwar HooglandGhost shadow with Global Illumination
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 8:49:40 am
Last Edited By Anwar Hoogland on Dec 13, 2013 at 8:50:42 am

I'm having a problem with some of my Global Illumination renders. (See image)

I'm rendering these animations out with IR(Animation) and most of them seem fine but the ones where you see where the trailer is going to stop there is sort of a Ghost shadow at that point with light spots at the place where the wheels will be stopping. I'm using a skylight rig with area shadows.

At first I thought it had something to do with the cashing but when I flush the cash and render again the shadow is still there. When I simply render the shot in the viewport there is no problem.

Anyone who can shed some light on this issue? I would love to keep rendering with the IR since it's much faster then QMC and with better quality :)

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Andy HenikRe: Ghost shadow with Global Illumination
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 9:39:27 am

As much as you might want it to stay IR (Animation) I urge you to consider to use QMC. I had exactly the same problem, and no matter what I tryed to do, I couldn't correct the problem.
Only after I used the QMC option, it went well.
If you are worried about the rendertime, QMC Still image will render fast as animation, and I didn't have any problems such as you posted, as well as flickering of shadows. You can change the settings in the irradidance Cache from Medium to Low, if it deosn't improve your rendertime, and it will still look good.

Hope I could be at help

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Ghost shadow with Global Illumination
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 1:36:27 pm

What version of Cinema are you using? If it's pre-R15 then you would need to use the full animation setting, as opposed to camera animation. If it's R15 then "full animation mode" should be checked in the GI effect's cache files tab.

But my first thought when I saw the screen grab was, why are you even using GI for this when there's hardly any bounce light going on and you could use 3-4 standard lights instead?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved