MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Loose Hinges

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason SmithLoose Hinges
by on Nov 22, 2013 at 7:37:59 pm
Last Edited By Jason Smith on Nov 22, 2013 at 7:56:02 pm

First post here, so hopefully this is enough info.

I'm just getting used to dynamic tags and hinges in Cinema4D. What I'm trying to do is create a facade similar to Elisa Strozyk's wooden textile I want to be able to attach points of the facade to strings and have those strings pulled to lift the "blanket " facade at certain points. What's the best technique for pinpoint lifting points? and most importantly:

How do I make it so that all the edges all lie flush with each other, stop the triangles from overlapping, and remain so even if I were to pull on the facade. If you zoom in, you can see gaps between each triangle where all the hinges are. I'd like to make it behave just like Strozyk's wooden textile blankets. I've upped the steps per frame to 30 and iterations to 180 which is much higher than the default but it still has those gaps. I want the hinges to perform as if they have no bounce, super rigid.

Is there a way to make it so gravity and the weight of each triangle doesn't pull down on them, but they all behave as if hinged when pulled at one point?

I've attached a photo to show the gaps and here is a link to my c4d file:

I'm using C4D 13 Studio by the way.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Loose Hinges
by on Nov 23, 2013 at 9:51:44 pm

tough order with 3D, you'd have more success using a triangulated plane (take the Phong tag off so it doesn't look smooth) than trying to make that out of loose objects. That's whats happening in the wooden textile shots, the cloth backing keeps everything together. Then either cloth or a softbody maybe. However, his wood pieces are not put on in a regular pattern like you would get with triangulating the quads of a plane.

Return to posts index

Jason SmithRe: Loose Hinges
by on Nov 23, 2013 at 10:33:26 pm

Yeah, yesterday I experimented with cloning the equilateral triangles to a flat plane and making it a soft body, based of greyscalegorilla's chain mail tutorial. I couldn't get them to behave as if they were all attached to each other those, like an articulated blanket. they looked more like they were triangles shoddily glued on to a piece of fabric when falling onto a sphere as a test. any suggestions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved