MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Atmosphere pass obscured by transparent object

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin DazetAtmosphere pass obscured by transparent object
by on Nov 21, 2013 at 8:20:03 pm

Hi all,

I'm rendering out an atmosphere pass so that I can isolate some pyrocluster clouds. In the middle of one of these clouds is a plane whose texture (a photo of an object with masked out background) has the alpha channel enabled. The scene renders the way I want it in my rgba pass, but the atmosphere pass is black in the areas where the plane should actually be transparent. This means the clouds that are behind the plane, even in the masked-out areas of my photo, aren't visible.

Does anybody know if there's a way around this? I don't understand why the camera can see the atmosphere where I expect to see it, but the actual atmosphere pass behaves differently. Is there a tag I need to throw on my plane object?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Manuel F. RugelesRe: Atmosphere pass obscured by transparent object
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 8:19:26 pm

Hello, I just have the very same problem, did you figured out a workaraound for this?

Manuel F. Rugeles
Editing and Motion Graphics
http://www.vimeo.com/manrug

Return to posts index

Kevin DazetRe: Atmosphere pass obscured by transparent object
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 8:34:32 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't. I think my workaround was to trace my image in Illustrator, then import and extrude the resulting spline and assign my texture to it. That way I didn't have to worry about the alpha channel. Unfortunately this is really cumbersome. I wish there were an easier fix.

Return to posts index

Manuel F. RugelesRe: Atmosphere pass obscured by transparent object
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 9:43:45 pm

Oh ok, thanks for the answer. In my case I think I'm going to add to the render an object buffer for the object with transparency thats obscuring my pyrocluster matrix. Then render again just a pass of the post effects atmosphere for the pyrocluster whitout the transparent object visible. And then use that to do the compositing.

Manuel F. Rugeles
Editing and Motion Graphics
http://www.vimeo.com/manrug

Return to posts index

Nikita SolodukhinRe: Atmosphere pass obscured by transparent object
by on Sep 8, 2015 at 5:47:42 pm

I know that this is super late, but I believe you can add a compositing tag to the object being ignored and uncheck "Seen by transparency" to fix your issue.

Return to posts index

Ihab AliRe: Atmosphere pass obscured by transparent object
by on Sep 9, 2015 at 4:15:06 pm

Hi Nikita, are you saying the object with alpha should have a compositing tag with "seen by transparency" unchecked? I just tried that and I'm still getting occlusion by the entire surface of the object rather than just the transparency.

Return to posts index

Nikita SolodukhinRe: Atmosphere pass obscured by transparent object
by on Sep 9, 2015 at 4:23:50 pm

That tag should go on the object that is being occluded, not the object with alpha.

Return to posts index

Ihab AliRe: Atmosphere pass obscured by transparent object
by on Sep 9, 2015 at 4:30:12 pm

I just tried that now, I added the tag to the TFD container that generates the atmosphere pass occluded by the object containing the alpha channel...same thing, the entire object(with alpha) still occludes the atmosphere pass rather than just the parts that are not transparent

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]