MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Illustrator to C4D to Trapcode Form

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Crowell
Illustrator to C4D to Trapcode Form
on Nov 20, 2013 at 9:02:12 pm

Hi All,

Newish to C4D, but using this project as a bit of a method to learn with.

I'm trying to take a logo that was traced in Illustrator, extruded in Cinema 4D, and exported as an object into Trapcode Form and turn it into something along these lines:

My logo looks like this in C4D:

It's got filet caps and details and things. But when I load it into Form as an OBJ in AE, it looks like this:

As you can see, all detail is lost, and there are no dots in the interior. Presumably this has something to do with it acting only on vertices. But I'm not sure how to solve it. Does the object need to be converted to polygons or something?

Thanks!
-J

Editor, Producer, DP
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Illustrator to C4D to Trapcode Form
on Nov 21, 2013 at 4:35:06 pm
Last Edited By Cassius Marques on Nov 21, 2013 at 4:36:10 pm

When you export it as an obj it converts it to a mesh. Make sure the vertices are already the way you intend to visualize them in AE. In the extrude object, change it to quadrangles with regular grid on, this will even up the vertice count along the mesh. Also don't set your spline to adaptive, set it to regular and give it a number thats closer to your quadrangles max distance setting.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Nov 21, 2013 at 8:23:50 pm

Thanks so much for help, Cassius.

[Cassius Marques] "In the extrude object, change it to quadrangles with regular grid on, this will even up the vertice count along the mesh."

You mean in the "caps" tab, correct?

I think these tips have helped somewhat, but I'm really hoping for that regular grid/mesh look around the whole object. Do you think that I would be wise to just use my original image as a guide and model the whole thing from scratch (presumably with a spline then extruded)?

I think I'm struggling against the basics of C4D. I know a bit, but I find most tutorials (I DO have a Lynda.com subscription) difficult to work through without a specific project in mind. I tried doing a basic text model (a la this video) but for some reason, C4D never shows that polygon mesh for me. Is this a setting? Even when I am able to get the mesh to show on the sides, it doesn't show on the caps. I may be confused....

Editor, Producer, DP
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Nov 22, 2013 at 11:50:07 am

Yes the setting is in the caps tab. If you set it right you can get vertices pretty even all around. It will be a lot better if you model it from scratch (you get to avoid triangles on the edges), but that will depend on your skills.

What I was talking about "seeing the mesh" is just changing the Display to show lines.

See the file, maybe it will help.

6827_extrudeexample.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]