MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Fracture Object Question

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darby Edelen
Fracture Object Question
on Nov 8, 2013 at 7:47:13 pm

So I'm attempting to scale several objects along their Y-axis using a Random Effector and a Fracture object. I've noticed that no matter where I place the axis of these objects they always scale from the center when scaling using the effector/fracture combo. Is there anyway around this?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Fracture Object Question
on Nov 8, 2013 at 8:15:48 pm

I've found that I can place each object inside a Null object and use the Null object to define the axis for transformations. However, I have 1000 objects inside my Fracture. So here's the new question: is there a way that I can easily place each object into its own Null object?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 9, 2013 at 5:19:15 am

if you place all your objects and the Random Effector into a null and set the Random effector to Deformer/Deformation/Object they should scale from the Axis, you have to use Noise or Turbulence for the Random Mode and if you don't want movement during animation you'll set Animation Speed in that same Effector tab to 0% -- adjusting the Scale there is a lot like changing the Seed in Random mode.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 9, 2013 at 8:58:06 pm

[Brian Jones] "if you place all your objects and the Random Effector into a null and set the Random effector to Deformer/Deformation/Object they should scale from the Axis, you have to use Noise or Turbulence for the Random Mode and if you don't want movement during animation you'll set Animation Speed in that same Effector tab to 0% -- adjusting the Scale there is a lot like changing the Seed in Random mode."

Thanks for the help Brian. I actually simplified the setup a bit for posting to the forum. I was actually using several effectors (random, shader, etc) to set the weights of the objects and then planned to scale them based on those weights.

I ended up finding a solution that worked in my case though. The objects I was attempting to scale all had different Y sizes to begin with. I created them by using a MoExtrude out of a triangulated mesh that had its faces disconnected with a random effector to create the different sizes. I was then using Current State to Object to create a poly mesh and separating the object into its polygon groups.

I simplified the setup (and made it more procedural, yay!) by leaving the MoExtrude live on the disconnected faces and then proceeding as before only with the Fracture object set to Explode Segments instead of Straight. Now when I scale on the Y-axis using a Plain effector based on the weights of the clones I can also offset the clones on the Y-axis by the initial height of all the clones. In my case the MoExtrude created all of them at 5m high so the Plain effector I'm using to grow them just needs to offset by 5m in the Y position for every 1 in the Y scale.

The project file would probably communicate this a bit more efficiently :)

6775_fracturemoextrude.c4d.zip

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]