MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Slowing a noise shader/displacer to a stop

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cassius MarquesSlowing a noise shader/displacer to a stop
by on Nov 7, 2013 at 8:33:29 pm

Hey guys, I'm using a noise in the shader tab of a displacer modifier. I used the Animation Speed option but now I need the evolution effect to slow down to a complete stop. Problem is that parameter can't be keyframed since it flickers like hell. I'm gessing it's because that controls evolution over time.

Any workarounds other than duplicating the modifier without animation speed and transitioning between them? (not ideal and troublesome in my current scene state).

Thanks

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Slowing a noise shader/displacer to a stop
by on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:49:59 pm

I don't see flickering here, but what I do see is that instead of just slowing down, the noise actually reverses direction, which is odd.

The only thing I can think to do is to bake the animation to PLA and then use a time track to slow/stop it.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Slowing a noise shader/displacer to a stop
by on Nov 8, 2013 at 11:23:23 am

Yeah, baking would be one way to do it that I haven't considered. But it seems just duplicating/transitioning to another displacer will be quicker/easier. I'm already time tracking everything else though.

I guess I was wishing for some hidden evolution property on them. =]

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Slowing a noise shader/displacer to a stop
by on Nov 8, 2013 at 3:54:59 am

no flickering here either, though, like Adam I'll bet, I'm looking at a noise in the color channel. I have found that the noise stops always at the 1/2 way point between whatever value you start with and zero then apparently runs backward to zero. If you end at a value that is exactly 1/2 of what you started at it stops like you want. Perhaps it's a harmonic thing but it doesn't seem to matter what value you start at for Animation Speed it will stop at the 1/2 value, regardless of the noise type.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Slowing a noise shader/displacer to a stop
by on Nov 8, 2013 at 11:16:55 am

"flicker" was a bad wording. It seemed so because I was trying to slow to a halt after a lot of frames passed. When you keyframe it to zero it backwards all the time it evolved until that point, it got so quick it seemed to flicker.

Anyway changing values or reducing to half the start won't help. It goes backwards then continues to animate.

thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]