MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Are There Poser & C4D Project Criteria? If So, What Are They?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James KozickAre There Poser & C4D Project Criteria? If So, What Are They?
by on Oct 28, 2013 at 4:01:02 pm

Poser & C4D are two major players - each with its own set of strengths. I have access to both and am just beginning to learn them. I've been running into some questions and would appreciate some responses if people have suggestions. Here goes:

1) Using one Program or the Other - Are there project criteria one could use to determine if one should base a project in one over the other? If such criteria exists, does anyone know what the criteria might be?

2) Using Both Programs - Bringing Poser items into C4D is an attractive thing to do. But that brings up the options of a) simple import/export of a Poser item into C4D, b) using PowerFusion, or c) using Interposer Pro. Are there project criteria one could use to determine which of these options would be most appropriate for each project along with pros and cons of each option? If such criteria exists, does anyone know what the criteria might be?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Are There Poser & C4D Project Criteria? If So, What Are They?
by on Oct 28, 2013 at 4:18:52 pm

In a nutshell, Poser is good for posing and animating Poser character models ... and not much else. Cinema 4D is a full-featured 3D modeling, animation, and rendering program that can be used to create pretty much anything, depending upon the operator's skill.

If you want to place Poser characters/animation into 3D environments then Interposer Pro seems to be the best way to do it.

Return to posts index

James KozickProblem Importing Poser Animation into C4D with IPP
by on Dec 18, 2013 at 12:00:02 am

I wanted to test a simple animation in Poser, import it into C4D using InterPoser Pro and see how the animation transferred to C4D

In Poser, I animated James to perform a simple ten second set of dance movements. During parts of the movements he squats down and springs up followed by a slight upper body twisting motion similar to motions seen in modern dance performances.

In Poser, I was able to achieve a smooth set of movements which I rendered to a QuickTime movie. The movie looked very good and smooth just like the movements in Poser.

Then, I imported the same Poser animation into C4D using IPP. When I view the animation in C4D, it doesn't seem like quite the same movements. They seem stilted. The squats don't occur, and neither does the upper body twisting. It looks like a similar set of movements, but not the same and not as smooth. In Poser, when James squats down it's due to my having lowered his hips and his feet staying even with the ground. When the same animation shows up in C4D, it's as if the hip lowering action performed in Poser doesn't translate into C4D and his feet end up going right through the "floor". Plus when I attempt to duplicate the squating action in C4D with James there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to James using IPP to bring about the same effect.

Also, as you know, in Poser you can perform a squat by using the Translate/Pull tool, clicking on James' hips and pulling down. This results in James squating down. Not only does the squat not transfer with the IPP import, when I click on James' waist in C4D I'm not able to perform a squat at all. When I created a QuickTime movie of this animation from C4D, it did not have the same smooth look as the Poser QuickTime and was missing the squats and twists.

Is this a limitation of IPP or am I possibly doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]