MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Textured object but different-coloured luminance?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe MorrisTextured object but different-coloured luminance?
by on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:10:08 pm

I'm a bit of a C4D noob - I want to apply a Color texture to something but I want it to have a different Luminance texture. Is that possible?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Textured object but different-coloured luminance?
by on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:16:22 pm

Sure it's possible. There are separate color and luminance channels in the C4D material. You can also adjust how they blend together.

Return to posts index

Joe MorrisRe: Textured object but different-coloured luminance?
by on Oct 15, 2013 at 6:41:17 pm

But if I set a luminance material it doesn't display the color material on the object.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2013 at 9:09:50 pm

Think of it this way: the color channel represents the diffuse color of the object (Cinema's diffuse channel is something else). The brightness of the color is affected by lights. The luminance channel, OTOH, applies color to your object that is NOT affected by lights. It also generates light if you are using global illumination.

So if you have both color and luminance they're going to blend together and the luminance is going to predominate because it's at full strength regardless of scene lighting.

What is it that you're trying to achieve?

Return to posts index

Joe MorrisRe: Textured object but different-coloured luminance?
by on Oct 16, 2013 at 9:01:19 pm

I'm trying to make an object look like one texture but illuminate a different texture.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2013 at 2:49:51 pm

by illuminate you mean you want the object to generate GI illumination? If so you can do it using two objects with compositing tags. One object would be visible to the camera but invisible to the GI calculation while the duplicate object would be invisible to the camera but visible to GI.

Make two copies of your object, one with the color material and the other with the luminance material. The one who's color you want to see gets a compositing tag with default settings, except you want to uncheck the "seen by GI" box.

The other object gets the luminant material and a compositing tag with default settings except with "seen by camera" unchecked.

That should do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]