MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Exchanging a lot of objects all at once?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Simpson
Exchanging a lot of objects all at once?
on Oct 4, 2013 at 1:35:44 pm

I have a scene with about 150 of the same object that I want to replace each with another, but it would take a couple hours to do it manually. Is there a way to do this in one or two steps in the object panel on the right? TIA

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Exchanging a lot of objects all at once?
on Oct 4, 2013 at 2:46:24 pm

select all the objects you want to replace then run Character/Commands/Replace With (the cursor changes to a question mark) then double click on the object you to replace them with in the OM.

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Oct 4, 2013 at 6:28:42 pm

Thank you very much for the instructions, but I am unable to find anything in the drop down menus or by right clicking, in order to follow the description.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 5, 2013 at 2:42:33 am

I don't know what parts the character tools are only available in C4D Studio. For me the Character menu is right beside the MoGraph menu just left of the Plugins menu... what version of C4D do you have (and what package)?

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Oct 5, 2013 at 4:54:27 pm

I upgraded to 14 and found it, thanks. Now my issue is that it when I do the replacement, none of the objects appear. It is a grouped object so is that because it is a null? When I try to connect and delete, the object disappears, so I am stuck at this point. Any ideas? Again, thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 5, 2013 at 6:54:48 pm

if you click on the Gear beside "Replace With" in the menu you get settings you can change. Check off Children in there (and set the rest to what you want/need)

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Oct 5, 2013 at 7:28:24 pm

It still is not working. It swaps them out but they are invisible. I have attached a screen of what it looks like.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 5, 2013 at 7:46:28 pm

can't tell anything from that shot except that you have a bunch of nulls, I'd have to see the scene file or the right screen shot(s) of the object manager to see how the objects are grouped and what you are trying to replace them with.

Return to posts index

Jon Simpson
on Oct 6, 2013 at 5:01:39 pm

Thank you! I am trying to replace all of the figures with the laptop.

6609_genericnetworkingfigureandlaptop.rar.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 6, 2013 at 8:30:52 pm

I don't see any way to do it. The closest I come is to make the laptop one single object and put that in a null then replace. The extrude's are generators not nulls but they behave as a parent and null in the replace. That replaces but the object ends up looking like the figures (tall and narrow) must be how Replace With works since it's a character tool - or I just don't know enough to do it right. Otherwise the only thing I know that might work is here http://www.xsyann.com/plugins/xsreplace/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]