MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Containing Thinking Particles Within A Model

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joey campbellContaining Thinking Particles Within A Model
by on Oct 2, 2013 at 8:35:11 am

Hi I have blood cells animating through an artery.
The cells are animated along a path using Thinking Particles.
My problem is that in some parts the cells pop out through the artery wall.
A quick fix is just to mask these out in AFX but if anyone could tell me what I need to do within C4D to contain the cells/particles it would be great.

My second question is how I could go about animating the cells so that they rush or move in rhythm with a beating heart.
I've added a vibrato effect to the camera and this works great.
If I could use a similar setting on my animated cells so that they move in phases rather than constantly it would look better.

My last question is this....I'm hoping to start off the entire animation in AFX by using only one of the blood cells imported as a .obj and use it with Trapcode Form. After showing this isolated cell I would like to transition back into my main animation but I would like the single cell to seamlessly join the other particles moving along the artery.

ie. What would be the best way to isolate an individual bloodcell generated by TP....could you pick one of these bloodcells at a particluar frame on the timeline and get its exact coordinates so that you could duplicate a 'non TP bloodcell' to layer on top of the TP version to utilise in a separate AFX composition. (I hope this makes sense)/

Any help would be great.
Thanks

https://vimeo.com/75709494 (password is cells)

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Containing Thinking Particles Within A Model
by on Oct 2, 2013 at 3:56:25 pm

You should be able to keep the particles in the volume using a pdeflector node. You can control the speed of the particles with a pvelocity node.

For the last question, you can get the position and alignment of a particle using the pgetdata node. The only way I can think to isolate a particular particle would be to place it in its own group. One way to do that would be to use a collision object to trigger the group change. So, maybe place a small plane in front of the particle in question, set it as the reference for a pdeflector node set to "event only", and use the event out port to trigger a pgroup node. Then you could get that particles position/alignment data and use it to drive the position/alignment of a separate object.

Return to posts index

joey campbellRe: Containing Thinking Particles Within A Model
by on Oct 2, 2013 at 9:39:34 pm

Thanks for your help Adam - I tried adding a pDeflector node (see attached). Unfortunately the cells kept moving through the artery wall. In case it was an issue that my artery model had a gap in the side of it I experimented using a solid cube stuck in the middle of the cells path and used that as the deflection object...no joy there either. I also tried using dragging in different particle layers and even leaving the particle layer blank. Could it be anything to do with the fact that the cells are following a path or that the cells have their own separtate particle collision ?

I've also highlighted the location of the existing point velocity node in the 'follow spline' section the cells are following. Can this somehow be tweaked to make the cells move forward in 'rushes' (ie like how you would use an after effects expression ?).
Cheers
Joey

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2013 at 10:57:14 pm

It's really hard to tell from the screen caps. Those TP presets can be very handy, but I find them quite hard to decipher if I want to make changes to them. You'll have to go into the Xpresso editor itself rather than relying on the provided user data inputs.

For example, if you open the Xpresso for the object collision preset and click on the PDeflector node, you'll see that the type is set to Front, meaning that particles only collide with polygons that have front-facing normals. Your artery object probably has the normals facing out so the particles are passing through. Change the node's type to Back or Both Sides and it should work.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 3, 2013 at 3:08:48 pm

Hi Adam - I just reduced the diameter of the particle flow as a quickfix. I'm going to go back to basics and learn TP from scratch next week. It seems like a really useful tool but trying to learn it by reverse engineering a pre-existing animation is a but too ambitious!
Thanks for all your help.
Joey

Return to posts index

by on Oct 3, 2013 at 3:19:39 pm

I think that's a good idea. Personally I know just enough TP to be dangerous. ;-)

Return to posts index

by on Oct 3, 2013 at 5:27:19 pm

Hi Adam very last question on this issue (I promise!).
Like I mentioned earlier - I want to start off looking at an individual cell within after effects (it will be a rotating .obj used within Form in AFX). From there I want to seamlessly transition to the bloodflow of all the particles. Is there anyway I can get the coordinates of the particle of the TP cell on the left so that I can apply them to the model/obj cell on the right (without going near TP or xpresso)...or plan B...is there a way to right click on a duplicate of the TP particles and convert the to a static mesh whereby I could then isolate a single cell and export it as an obj ?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 3, 2013 at 9:24:30 pm

The easiest way to do it, IMO, would be to bake the TP animation with Nitrobake (paid plugin). That way you could reduce to the particle animation to real objects and real keyframes. In this case you would simply delete all of the baked particles except the one you're interested in.

Another option would be to use mograph to clone onto the TP particles and then bake the mograph animation (see Youtube tutorial(s)).

Return to posts index

by on Oct 3, 2013 at 9:30:44 pm

Thanks Adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]