MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Phong issue?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bronson HooverPhong issue?
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 4:00:18 pm

I'm still learning C4D and I've hit a wall. As you can see on my image, I have some crazy polygon thing happening to my shape. I've experimented with different phong settings, different light and shadow settings, different Intermediate Points, everything I can think of. The shapes only look like this for a period of time during the animation. It looks great at the end, and for most of the beginning of the animation. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can fix this? Thanks in advance!

Also - in my screen grab you'll see an error message I'm getting. I'm using Light Kit Pro right now, but when I do I get this error that C4D can't find the files to write to. Any suggestions of how I fix this linkage problem? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Phong issue?
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 4:53:33 pm

I would try setting the extrude caps to Type: Quadrangles, and check the regular grid box. You may also need to lower the grid size (but be careful as very low settings can produce a bazillion polygons).

Can't help you with the Light Kit problem. Maybe post at GSG for help?

Return to posts index

Bronson HooverRe: Phong issue?
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 5:34:43 pm

Thanks Adam - I was sooo hoping that would be the answer, but unfortunately it's not. It did create a very cool effect that I'll use in the future though.

I've realized that the cap issue (or whatever it is) doesn't become a problem until the shapes in question stop moving. I have movement on 16 shapes and a camera movement at the same time. They look clean until each individual shape lands in its resting spot. Once the camera lands in its final spot, they all clear up again.

Does that sound like something you've come across? Thank you so much for the help.

++bronson

Return to posts index

Bronson HooverRe: Phong issue?
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 5:40:27 pm

I just figured it out. Thanks for the help. I had animated the "Z Scale" of the extrude nurb all the way down to zero so that the image would appear 2D when it landed. I've upped the setting to 0.1 and it looks great.

++bronson

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Phong issue?
by on Oct 1, 2013 at 5:58:18 pm

Cool, glad you figured it out. When you scale to 0 the front and back caps overlap and cause a rendering error because the raytracer doesn't know which polygons are supposed to be in front/back.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]