MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Single texture across multiple polygons

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt DeLoach
Single texture across multiple polygons
on Oct 1, 2013 at 3:14:30 am

I'm fairly new to the Cinema 4D world and I have a question that I'm sure should be simple to answer for someone out there.

I have 16 polygons (squares in a grid) that I'd like to apply a single texture or video to. I will attach a screenshot to this post.

Is there a fairly simple way to apply a single texture or video to all of the polygons? In Illustrator or After Effects, you would simply apply a complex mask (or shape layer) to said image or video. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to accomplish this in Cinema 4D.

Could someone out there please lend some advice? I appreciate it!

Matt

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Single texture across multiple polygons
on Oct 1, 2013 at 1:36:11 pm

put all the squares in a Null and apply the texture to that - set it to Flat and move it around with the texture tools to get the alignment and size you need. If the squares are done with a Cloner (not just 16 separate objects) then you don't need the null you can do the same thing with the Cloner

Return to posts index

Matt DeLoach
on Oct 1, 2013 at 3:13:03 pm

Thanks for the advice...the null method works, but for some reason, not when I set the texture projection to flat. Nothing is rendered when it is set to flat.

When I set the projection to "frontal" it displays in the squares, but they don't rotate, pan or zoom with the camera. The video plays in a fixed position.

Any idea on how to fix this? Thanks again...

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Oct 1, 2013 at 5:12:04 pm

Hard to say but you may have the flat mapping rotated 90 degrees to the surface. Here's a quick demonstration applying flat mapping to a 4x4 grid of polygons:

Return to posts index

Matt DeLoach
on Oct 3, 2013 at 6:19:23 pm

Awesome. Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]