MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Rotating an Object

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina SargsyanRotating an Object
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 5:09:27 am

Hey everyone,

Im making a "mother ship" spaceship its flat and round and I need it to stay in one spot and rotate, however I know how to do this using the rotate tool. But the problem is it makes the ship go up and down in other spots. How do I make it stay flat and just spin on one axis??

Return to posts index

Ashish GuptaRe: Rotating an Object
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:28:27 am

Hie nina ,

Its hard to say anything without actually looking at your scene file .. can u post a snapshot or a video of the problem .. ?

Ashish Gupta
Motiongraphics artist and 3d generalist

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Rotating an Object
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 8:02:42 pm

If you're rotating on once axis only and it's wobbling, it means that the axis isn't completely centered to your object. You can center it in terms of translation with the axis center tool, but rotation is a little trickier. I suggest you align the object to the grid using top/side/front views and then see if the axis rotation seems to be off. You should be able to tell by looking at your object's coordinates tab, i.e., if the object is completely straight in all views, but the coords are showing rotation, then your axis is rotated relative to the model. You can fix that by enabling axis mode and zeroing out rotation.

Return to posts index

Nina SargsyanRe: Rotating an Object
by on Sep 26, 2013 at 8:36:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, Im not being able to get into axis mode, could you please tell me how to get into axis mode.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2013 at 3:10:43 am

It's the third icon from the top in the left-hand palette. Note: only works with editable objects -- not primitives.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2013 at 3:21:28 am

Im posting two pics of the project in C4D, some insight would be great. I feel the model is not aligned to the axes properly, i just need it to spin in one spot. Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2013 at 3:40:02 am

Well, clearly it's not aligned to the world cords. Best thing to do is use the grid as a reference and rotate the ship straight in one viewport at a time. For example, first get it straight in the front viewport, then straighten it out in the side viewport. Then go back to the front and make finer adjustments, back to the side, etc. Once you're sure that that the geometry is straight, then zero out the axis rotation in the coordinates manager.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2013 at 5:19:04 am

Well I tried to align it, Im hoping it worked and ive grasped the concept.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2013 at 6:07:57 pm

Looks like it's still off to me. It's a little hard to explain so I did a little video tutorial for you:

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2013 at 1:31:04 am

Thanks so much for the video, I sorted it all out and there are no longer any wobbles.

Thanks for the help, its highly appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]