MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Printhead XPResso Setup

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Barone
Printhead XPResso Setup
on Sep 13, 2013 at 7:40:30 pm

I'm trying to figure out a setup in XPResso where I can have a single slider controller move an object Left to Right, moving back and forth, and for each time it completes a move to the far left or far right (distance being set in a range-mapper) it will move 10 cm up the Y Axis.

I suppose its like a 3D printhead.

I've attached my file which may or may not be easy to follow. What I have going on is an Object moving back and forth which will reveal a logo, as if its being 3-D printed.

The object moving back and forth have a Posemorph which I want the setting to increase by a step of 10% when the cube reaches the left, and the other at the right.

Could someone either explain, or possibly put together an Xpresso setup to show me how to do this?

Thanks!
6508_3dprintlogo.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Printhead XPResso Setup
on Sep 13, 2013 at 8:29:55 pm

There's probably a better way to do this, but my example is simple and it works. You just have to move the null back into Y position when you rewind the animation. And don't leave the slider at either extreme or else the print head will just keep moving up in Y.

Scene: 6509_printheadamt.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Tony Barone
on Sep 13, 2013 at 8:39:21 pm

Adam,

As always, thanks VERY much for your help. While your solution is certainly simpler than what I have in the works, unfortunately, it won't accomplish what I'm going for.

If you take a look at the file I attached to my post, you should be able to see what I mean.

I have my object moving right/left repeat, within a boolean to reveal a logo. Each time my moving object reaches the farmost left/right point (increment of 50% on the slider), I want the Posemorph to increase by a 10% step, first on the "Cube-Side 1" when the moving object reaches the Right, then "Cube-Side 2" when it reaches the right.. and so on.

In that way, the printhead (which I haven't modeled yet) will appear to be "printing" the logo as it moves both right and left.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Sep 13, 2013 at 11:49:32 pm

Ah, sorry -- I didn't notice that you had attached a file! I'll check it out when I have a chance.

Return to posts index

Tony Barone
on Sep 16, 2013 at 12:19:52 pm

Sorry, I posted my working file after the original post. I really appreciate your help on this one.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Sep 16, 2013 at 7:48:26 pm

Not sure I understand your file as the cubeside1 morph just builds up the text from the bottom up, and cubeside2 doesn't do anything. Anyway, maybe you can do something with this, which borrows from the file I posted earlier: 6514_3dprintlogoamt.c4d.zip

If you're going for a timelapse 3D printer look, I think I'd just animate the printhead and then set start/end keyframes for the cubeside1 morph. In reality the layers that a 3D printer puts down are so thin you can't really see them being built individually.

Return to posts index

Tony Barone
on Sep 17, 2013 at 1:26:43 pm

Adam,

Thanks for your file, I haven't quite figured out how it works, but it looks nice. Also not sure how to reset it to the beginning.

I've uploaded an updated version of what I was working on just to show you what the cubeside2 is for. Its basically to make it appear as though its printing bi-directionally. My setup works, but I was hoping to somehow build it all into an Xpresso setup without having to animate separate sliders.

I can't figure out how to step the cubesides up by 10% or any % each time the main object reaches its max left/right distance. Is there a way to setup an xpresso chain where it adds a set distance when another object reaches a specified location?

6515_3dprintexample.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]