MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Ambient illumination render issues - pixelated

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Shaw
Ambient illumination render issues - pixelated
on Aug 31, 2013 at 12:36:36 pm

Hi I'm working on a project for a client which is going to have a "flat" look to it. I've decided to use ambient illumination in order to create this look. The problem is the shadows look awful and very pixelated. Does anyone know a solution to this?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Ambient illumination render issues - pixelated
on Aug 31, 2013 at 5:16:51 pm

You're talking about the line between the light and shadow? If so I wonder if it might help to use a small area light instead of an Omni?

Return to posts index

Chris Shaw
on Sep 10, 2013 at 11:16:18 am

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. No matter what light type I use I still get the same results but only on objects that in Hyper Nurbs and also using the metaball.

Below is an image taken where you can see the difference. The sphere on the left is a parametric object that hasn't been changed to a polygonal object (before it's 'made editable') and the object on the right is an object in a Hypernurbs object. I've added a compositing tag on to the object on the right to try and smooth out the shadow by setting the anti-aliasing up to Best (Min 1x1, Max 4x4).

The reason I'm using this workflow is I'm trying to get the perfect "flat" look for a current project. Here's an example of the style I've done using parametric objects https://vimeo.com/74154760 password: sell

The huge problem is the animation is going to have characters etc that will be using hypernurbs and right now that's just not possible with such awful pixelation on the shadows.

Return to posts index

David Pocull
on Nov 13, 2013 at 9:40:28 am

Hey Chris, I have the same problem with the shadows using the ambient illumination.
Did you managed to find a solution?

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]