MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to make a cloner object subdivide?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean boweringHow to make a cloner object subdivide?
by on Aug 2, 2013 at 4:27:42 pm

hi all

i've been racking my brains trying to make a cube subdivide transition look elegant... see r14 attachment

6359_archive.zip

it would be much nicer if the transition was using the same cloner, and more random, and without having to zoom in/out. but i can't figure out how to do that smoothly, keeping the material changes.

anyone have a more sophisticated way of doing this?

many thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: How to make a cloner object subdivide?
by on Aug 3, 2013 at 5:17:52 am

6363_cubedivide.zip

This is not random but it is possible to use a single cloner, a single cube and one texture tag. Almost everything can be keyframed so the values just change when needed. This is not the only way to do something like this, you could have objects waiting in the right place and just make things visible or invisible at the right times etc etc.
As for random, what do you mean?

Return to posts index

sean boweringRe: How to make a cloner object subdivide?
by on Aug 3, 2013 at 1:44:33 pm

wow, that looks great! thanks brian. can i ask you to talk me though how you did this? how did you get the cloner amount to smoothly subdivide? when i tried it all i could get was a sharp jump. and how did you get the material transitions to work? i'd love to learn this.

re randomizing: i was thinking of throwing in some random rotation of some of the individual cubes, kind of like a rubiks cube... any suggestions?

again, thank you for your input, very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: How to make a cloner object subdivide?
by on Aug 3, 2013 at 6:10:03 pm

there's not much going on, the number of clones does do a sharp jump but it jumps from one clone which is 300 x 300 x 300 to 27 clones which are 100 x 100 x 100 (with no space between) so it ends up as 300 x 300 x 300. Then the cube's size reduces a bit (100 -> 95) while the cloner size increases a bit (200 ->205) so gaps appear but the overall size remains the same at 300 x 300 x 300. Same thing at the next jump (27 -> 729 cubes).
That works well at the first jump because it goes from a solid to a bunch of cubes which are all touching which then separate - just before the jump I reversed the separation so it would be a solid again so the separation would be smooth.
No single cube in a Rubics ever moves by itself, they always do so in groups but individual cubes rotating randomly would be easy with effectors but too much rotation would cause the cubes to rotate through each other

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]