MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Can't seem to model using spline

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chance McIntyreCan't seem to model using spline
by on Jul 31, 2013 at 7:42:05 pm

I tried searching for previous posts with this issue and the results were too overwhelming for a new guy like myself. Basically I've got an object (a combination of two splines connected to form a new object) that I want to bend and follow a certain path. I tried creating a bezier spline to align the object to but it wouldn't work and using the spline effector tool "kind of" worked, but only a small portion of the spline was covered by the object and it flattened the object, though that easily could have been because I didn't know what I was doing.

So how can I make an edited object bend and align to a 3D spline? Any help is gratefully appreciated!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Can't seem to model using spline
by on Jul 31, 2013 at 10:52:46 pm

Sounds like you need to use the Spline Wrap deformer.

Return to posts index

Chance McIntyreRe: Can't seem to model using spline
by on Jul 31, 2013 at 11:17:22 pm

I'm playing with that now and it's showing more result, but still not actually bending the object. I'm unable to get a screencap at the moment, but picture a straightened out candy cane as the pipe which I'm trying to bend, well, like a candy cane. It's only wanting to stretch out the two ends from the center in a very exagerrated fashion, like a bow-tie. I'm going to back pedal and see if I just create a cross section of the rope and use the sweep nurbs to get it, although it really seemed like there was a straightforward advantage of using the spline.

*QUICK EDIT* Hey figured it out! I'm leaving my above paragraph for anyone else that has the same conflict. So my orientation was off: the pipe was oriented Z and the spline wrap output was X. Switch the output and boom, problem solved! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved