MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Adding animated layers to 3D objects

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark BoxallAdding animated layers to 3D objects
by on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:27:38 am

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm new to Cinema 4D, so please bare with me as I'm not sure if what I'm asking has a simple solution or is even possible at all.

I'm trying to build a 3D map of Europe which demonstrates how the country boarders changed before and after the first world war, so ideally I'd like to be able to animate the country boarders on the surface of my 3D map.

I've managed to model the map by extruding an illustrator path, I've then added a slight curve to the whole thing using the warp deformer, I've also added two different materials to the object, one to the top of the map, and the other to the back and sides.

So, what would be the best way to approach adding this animated layer to the map surface?

Is it best to animate the film in after effects and then add this to my model in Cinema 4D
or, would it be easier to import my 3d model into after effects using the new Cineware plug-in or perhaps Video Co-pilots Element 3D, and then map the animated layer to the surface of the map in After Effects.

Either way I could do with some advise on how I would approach each option. Thanks in advance for any help. I really appreciate it

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Adding animated layers to 3D objects
by on Jul 31, 2013 at 6:51:01 pm

How are you animating the change? Is it just a cross-fade transition, or are you wanting to morph the borders?

Return to posts index

Mark BoxallRe: Adding animated layers to 3D objects
by on Aug 1, 2013 at 9:34:16 am

Hi Adam, I was hoping to make the animation quite interesting, maybe adding some glitch effects. There may also be some animation required on the individual countries as well. Ideally I'd animate the whole thing in After Effects and the apply what I've done to the surface of the 3D map, I'm just not sure the best way to do this. Is there anything you'd suggest?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Adding animated layers to 3D objects
by on Aug 1, 2013 at 2:44:35 pm

Nothing too tricky. Just render out the AE animation. Create a C4D material and load the footage into the appropriate channels (e.g., color, luminance, bump ... depending), and then drop the material on your object. You should be able to set the texture tag to flat mapping. Might need to give the object a "stick texture" tag to keep it from slipping as a result of the deformer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]