MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Connect Cylinder and Cube

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathi PetConnect Cylinder and Cube
by on Jul 26, 2013 at 11:13:06 am

Hey everyone :)

I have a problem with my current project, where I have to connect a cylinder to another object, consisting of several cubes. I've tried a lot of times, but it never works out... I hope somebody can help me!!!
I created the cylinder with few rotational segments, put it in a hypernurb and converted it. The other object consists of 4 connected cubes,3 of them are oriented horizontal and one vertical, crossing the others in the middle. I've cut the cylinder at the position, where the cubes should stick out. Then I connected all the points to get one object. In order to get nice edges I used the weight tool and cut the cubes several times... but it never looks smooth!! Either there are sharp edges in the cylinder or the cube edges are too round :(

Does anybody have a solution?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Connect Cylinder and Cube
by on Jul 26, 2013 at 3:15:14 pm

Screen shot or file would help a lot.

Return to posts index

Kathi PetRe: Connect Cylinder and Cube
by on Jul 26, 2013 at 5:00:38 pm

oh sorry

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Connect Cylinder and Cube
by on Jul 28, 2013 at 8:07:07 pm

if you make a copy of your 'cubes' object then extend the back out so it intersects the cylinder (or just move it backward) and use that to boole out that shape from the cylinder, you should be able to connect the resulting hole edges to the original 'cubes'

Return to posts index

Cat PetRe: Connect Cylinder and Cube
by on Jul 30, 2013 at 9:55:10 am

Thank you for your answer, Brian! The problem is: when I make new cuts into my cylinder, in order to connect the points, the hypernurb always shows hard edges around the cylinder. I finally solved the problem by subdividing the cylinder a few times and played around with the hypernurb weighting tool. Now it looks good.. anyway there are a lot of sub divisions now and the fils size increased... so I don't know if this is the best solution...

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Connect Cylinder and Cube
by on Jul 30, 2013 at 2:38:46 pm

usually with subdivision (Hypernurbs) it's best to keep the base geometry as simple as possible then use cuts/beveling/weighting to get the right shape

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]