MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

projection on a moving "cloned" surface

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
crasse deuxprojection on a moving "cloned" surface
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:31:28 pm

Hi there !

I'm looking for a way to project some image ( a logo for instance ) on a moving surface.

for exemple, i got this kind of surface, a ocean of small shapes waving, like this one (mine are not cube, but I think it doesn't make any difference ^^ ) done by using mograph cloner

surface exemple :
cube ocean/

and I want to project an image over it, as if there were a real projector above the scene, so the image react logicaly with the surface volumes and movement (mine is waving)

Is it possible to do that in c4d ? I can also handle after effect as I work on it too, maybe there is solution with after effects also, but I didn't find it yet.

Does anybody knows how to do that ?

thanks in advance :)

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: projection on a moving "cloned" surface
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:48:34 pm

Not sure what you mean when you say you want the image to react logically with the surface. Do you want the image to slide over the clones as they move, or do you want the image to stick to the clones?

Return to posts index

crasse deuxRe: projection on a moving "cloned" surface
by on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:05:03 pm

Hi (re) :)

in fact I want the image to stick to the center of the composition, the clones moves from left to right, the twist and other movements (from a noise movement generator I put and control on the cloner), but the projected image stick to the center of the composition and should be just deformed depending on the clones position/orientation beneath it.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:58:45 pm

Okay, that's easy. Just place the texture on the cloner, set the UV mapping to flat, and use the texture tool (checker board icon at left) to rotate/scale the projection to fit your grid.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 25, 2013 at 2:09:31 pm

Great ! thanks for help :D

I'll try it as soon as I have time to get back on this project (should be tomorrow) i'll then give feedback here ^^

Return to posts index

by on Jul 26, 2013 at 12:15:04 pm

Hi there !

this solution worked well :) !

But in order to use it effectivly on this project (according to what people ask me ) I would need to be able to render only this texture.

in other words I already renderer my clones without the logo projection over it, and I would like to know if I can render only the projection in a second time ( in order to rebuild the image in after effects, so I can render different projection in c4d, some logo, some texts etc... and play with them in after effects) so the rendering time should be quick with the single texture.

simply : Is it possible to render only one single texture of the scene ? (without everything else, just alpha)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 27, 2013 at 2:43:23 pm

Yes, you could remove the old material and place the alpha material on the cloner, and just render that. Add an object buffer for the cloner and you can use that as a track matte in AE to lay the logo over the original render. But I'm not sure if this would be any quicker than just rendering the whole thing with the logo in place....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]