MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

tips to reduce flicker in renders?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Hooper
tips to reduce flicker in renders?
on Jul 7, 2013 at 2:34:33 am

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with getting flicker-free renders when I output a TIF sequence. Basically it's a realflow mesh import so it's an organic shape thing that's continually morphing. ya know, the usual realflow stuff. My scene is pretty basic, it consists of:

- animatede Realflow mesh (with orange subsurface scattering texture)
- 3 softbox lights (from the greyscale gorilla light kit pack)
- a sky (with a dark black/grey texture)
- camera with depth of field turned on (only rear blur)

I KNOW that it's the Depth of Field that's causing the flicker becuase when I switch it off, and export the sequence, it doesnt play back with an obvious flicker where the blurring occurs. I'm guessing it could be the fact that im using a SSS texture too, as the light being processed by the ever-changing RF mesh+SSS texture could be causing the flicker when coupled with the DOF.

I dont have AO or GI turned on, and have anti-aliasing on Best so I'm not sure what I can do in my render settings to reduce the flicker. I've also tried alternatively to add the DOF in post with a z-depth pass but the results dont look as nice/natural as they do right out of cinema.

any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks in advance!
Eugene

Return to posts index

Dan Conrad
Re: tips to reduce flicker in renders?
on Jul 16, 2013 at 6:30:29 pm

Two things come to mind...

a) Time permitting, can you render out double the frame rate and conform the fps for smoother motion

b) If you render out a depth pass, try rendering out double the resolution. If comping in linear space make sure you "Preserve RGB" in the interrupt footage tab in AE.

http://www.mographcandy.com
Twitter: @mographcandy

Return to posts index

Eugene Hooper
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:25:58 am

hey thanks for the reply. sorry it's taken me so long to get back. how do I "conform" the frame rate exactly?

thanks for the advice.
Eugene

Return to posts index

Eugene Hooper
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:34:42 am

ohh nevermind. think I got it. sweet I'll test out outputting double the number of frames then conforming it back to 30fps. unsure if it'll improve it though as it seems to spike quite erratically with the flickering (or dof blurring). cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]