MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Is it lighting or texture or both that are off here?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh PigfordIs it lighting or texture or both that are off here?
by on Jul 1, 2013 at 11:30:14 am

Doing a little project trying to replicate some real world objects and you can see from my attachment that something isn't quite right on my 3D model.

I've been playing with texture and lighting and just can't quite seem to get mine looking right.

Any ideas on what I could try to get mine looking more like the one on the right?

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Is it lighting or texture or both that are off here?
by on Jul 1, 2013 at 2:57:01 pm

I'd say it's a couple things:

1. you may need to adjust your objects' phong tags, or delete them altogether as the objects have all-sharp edges. Could be blurring out some of the detail;

2. in terms of lighting, there are several things you could do to improve it. The quickest thing you could do for a more realistic look would be to use area shadows instead of soft shadows.

I would also activate the Ambient Occlusion (AO) post effect, or put AO in your floor material's diffuse channel. That provides a GI-like shadow beneath your objects.

Of course you could also use global illumination for the lighting, with an HDRI mapped to a sky object. Results would depend a lot on the HDRI images at your disposal.

3. With respect to the material, you might want to use reflection in place of, or in addition to, specular highlights. If so I'd put a Fresnel shader in the reflection channel. Inside the Fresnel shader check the "physical" box and choose one of the gem types from the drop-down menu.

Return to posts index

Josh PigfordRe: Is it lighting or texture or both that are off here?
by on Jul 1, 2013 at 9:08:11 pm

I used most of those suggestions and tried a few other things. Getting better, but still not quite there. I don't know...can't put my finger on it (especially on those bottom few diamonds).

Return to posts index

by on Jul 1, 2013 at 10:25:04 pm

Definitely better. Looks like you still need more reflection or specular. Notice how the objects in the reference image have that whitish reflection?

Return to posts index

Josh PigfordRe: Is it lighting or texture or both that are off here?
by on Jul 2, 2013 at 12:28:49 am

The diamonds in the reference image are made of paper...so seems the reflection would be pretty minimal (if at all).

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:45:28 am

If paper didn't reflect light you wouldn't be able to see it. ;-)

The reflections just have to be very blurry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]