MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

anyone know how to do a random reveal?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean boweringanyone know how to do a random reveal?
by on Jun 24, 2013 at 7:54:26 pm

hi, this is probably super simple but i'm struggling with this...

i have a 1 sec animated graphic pattern i want to have pop up randomly over a screen until it covers the whole area in a grid. i set it up as a radial cloner, within a larger 10x6 grid cloner.

how do i get each of these little animated radial cloners to pop up and animate, randomly, until the screen is filled?

file attached. R.12
6180_randomreveal.c4d.zip

many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: anyone know how to do a random reveal?
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 2:25:34 am

Easy to offset the animation randomly, but a little trickier to get the animation to start just as the clones appear. I used one random effector to do the random animation and a modified copy to do the visibility. The Min/Max values of the visibility effector are keyframed ... and need a little tweaking to make it perfect:

6181_randomvisibilityandanimationstart.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

sean boweringRe: anyone know how to do a random reveal?
by on Jun 25, 2013 at 12:54:10 pm

wow, works perfectly! thank you adam. excuse my ignorance but could you explain a little more your process? i'm trying to figure out how the two effectors work...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:17:32 pm

Sure, I'll try to break it down.

Animation offset: most effectors have a time offset setting in the parameters tab that allows them to control the start time of animated clones (as long as you uncheck "fix clones" in the cloner). In this case I used that parameter in a random effector, setting the range to the length of the project minus the length of the clone animation. That ensures that all of the clone animation will finish by the last frame.

Then I changed two other parameters:

* I set the effectors Min/Max setting to 0/100 instead of the default -100/100. This way randomization of the animated clones starts at frame 0 instead of in negative time;

* I changed the random mode to sorted instead of using the default "random". Either will work, but sorted gives a more even distribution, since it essentially divides the min/max values by the number of clones and then assigns the values randomly, while the "random" setting is truly random which can result in some clones having similar values.

Then, for visibility, I duplicated the previous random effector, assigned it to the cloner, zeroed out the time offset value, and checked the Visibility box. By default, this causes any clone with a value of less than 50% to become invisible, which is not exactly what you want. Obviously you wanted all the clones to be invisible at the start and to have them appear randomly as they began to animate.

I found that I could achieve that by starting out with a Min/Max setting of 50/0, animation Min to 100% and then animating Max from 0 to 51%. I'm sure there's a perfectly rational mathematical reason why that works, but I don't know what it is. I just came to it by playing with the sliders. :-)

Return to posts index

by on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:39:24 pm

this is great info, thank you. i'm going to work through it to try and understand how this breaks down.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 25, 2013 at 9:45:50 pm

ok, i think i get it. so one last question: how would i add a 5 frame fade in to each of the animated T's? the way they pop in feels a little harsh.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 25, 2013 at 11:29:22 pm

Give the cloner that's being cloned a Cinema>Display tag, check the tag's "use visibility" box, and then animate the parameter from 0% at frame 0 to 100% at frame 5. That animation will be offset by the random effector just like the other animation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]