MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Create dust plume between two objects

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garske
Create dust plume between two objects
on Jun 21, 2013 at 8:33:30 pm

I'm only a couple of weeks into Cinema 4D r14, my first 3D program, so I may be getting a bit over my head. Since I know very little about the program I'm not sure if this task will be very easy or incredibly difficult. So here it goes...

I have two Splines (one circle, one star) with Extrude Nurbs applied to them. Their coordinates are manually keyframed to fly at each other in z space and until they crash into one another. I'm looking for a way to create a dust plume or cloud that comes from between the two objects when they meet.

I tried playing with Nitro Blast, but that only seems to work with dynamics and from what I can tell it doesn't work with Extrude Nurbs. I am sure I'll have to do something with thinking particles but I'm not sure where to begin.

Does anyone know of a technique I can use to create this effect? Or any tutorials that will help me to understand how I can begin to effect particles in this way?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide!

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
Re: Create dust plume between two objects
on Jun 23, 2013 at 12:03:45 am

I found this tutorial using Xpresso and NitroBlast which has given me some ideas on how this might be achieved but I still am not sure how to make this happen free of Nitroblast which seems not to work with my objects.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 23, 2013 at 4:23:43 am

you could make a just a TP emitter that emits out perpendicularly (Like the TP Ring Emitter preset (in the Content Browser in the Studio/Simulation/Thinking Particles section) or the Standard emitter with the right settings) or if you want the shape of the spline to be in the dust you could use a Spline Emitter preset with one of the splines you extruded (or a copy) as the spline (with Spherical Wind to push the particles out) - but probably the Ring Emitter is good enough.

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Jun 24, 2013 at 10:42:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestions you definitely got me started in the right direction.

I like the idea of using the Spline Emitter with PyroCluster. Is there a way to tell it to start emitting a certain frame like the normal emitter?

Also it seems that no matter where I position the wind it doesn't effect the particles. I have it set to a sphere shape under the Falloff tab. Is that the correct setting to have the wind emit out from a central point?

I've done a number of tutorials for particle emitters and I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 24, 2013 at 11:50:49 pm

Keyframe the On parameter in the Spline Emitter's settings for when you want emission to start and the Wind you want is the TP Spherical Wind in the TP Effectors presets

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Jun 29, 2013 at 2:54:48 pm

Thanks for all your help. I'm having an issue now with getting the pyrocluster to show and I can't figure out why. I've got the PyroCluster volume tracer on an environment with the pyrocluster applied to Particle Geometry. I've dragged the main particle group from thinking particle settings into the Particle Geometry. I've watched a few tutorials on this and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 29, 2013 at 9:01:53 pm

usually all you have to do with TP and Pyrocluster is put the Volume Tracer on the Environment object and the Pyrocluster material on the Particle Geometry... you don't even have to put the group into the Particle Geometry unless you want to limit it in situations where there are more than one group. Are you actually generating the group that is in the particle geometry object? The only other thing I can think of (other than pyrocluster settings that are too extreme causing invisibility) that will cause no pyro is to uncheck Render Objects on the Volume Tracer.

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Jul 13, 2013 at 8:40:25 pm

I removed any groups from the TP settings except for one and I removed the group from the particle geometry. I'm not sure that I am generating a group, what steps do I need in order to do that?

Also, I'm not sure what would constitute extreme pyrocluster settings. The preview seems to look fine. Which settings should I look out for? Sorry it took so long to get back to this, thanks again for all of your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]