Hi all,

I'm new to cinema 4d and 3D programs in general. Here are my specs:

windows 7
Asus P9X79 PRO
GTX 580 3Gb
intel i7-3930K
64Gb ram 1600Mhz
Cinema 4d r14

I'm curious, what functions does C4D rely on the CPU vs. the GPU?

Are there any quick settings in preferences I can change to improve overall efficiency of the program?

At the time I built this system the 580 3Gb was the biggest bang for my buck in terms of use in after effects. Is it worth while for me to upgrade my GPU, and if so, what would you guys suggest in terms of biggest bang for my buck? (budget is up to $800)

Where can I find a benchmark list for GPU and CPU performance in Cinema 4D?

Sorry if the questions are a bit broad. I'm still trying to get a handle on how C4D operates. Thanks for your advice!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Best Hardware and settings for Cinema 4D r14
on Jun 20, 2013 at 2:25:57 am

Cinema is pretty well optimized out of the box. I have essentially the same hardware and I haven't felt the need to change any of the default hardware settings. I don't think you'll get much better performance by upgrading your video card. The top ATI cards tend to benchmark better in Cinema, but I avoid them because ATI doesn't have the best track record with OpenGL drivers.

Return to posts index

Dell Anderson
on Jun 20, 2013 at 9:21:31 pm

windows 7
Asus P9X79 PRO
GTX 580 3Gb
intel i7-3930K
64Gb ram 1600Mhz
Cinema 4d r14

Great info. Wow that's a monster! ;-) I'm considering building a long overdue replacement for my outdated C4DR14 homebuilt hardware.

Last computer was a maxed out Intel motherboard with 32 bit OS (and you know what that means for RAM...). Anyone know of Intel alternatives to Asus P9X79 Pro or is that the one to get? I like to stay Intel when I can.

best,

Dell Anderson

PS Michael, is your GTX580 really 3Gb or 1.5? If so, where did you find it (this series appears to be no longer available new but seems to be the sweet spot price/performance for C4D and Blender. I understand that C4D does not use GPU rendering, but Blender does and 580 works well, only the issue of limited memory.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 21, 2013 at 3:10:24 pm

I like the Asus boards. I'm using the Sabertooth X79 which is similar to the Pro.

There are GTX 580s with 3 GB RAM -- I have one and you can still find them on EBay. It is a good GPU and actually performs better for GPU rendering than most of the 600 series cards.

You might check out Octane Render if you're interested in GPU rendering with Cinema. They recently came out with a C4D bridge. I just got it a couple weeks ago and I think it's great. Pretty cheap, too, as render engines go. It's very fast even on a single 580.

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Jun 21, 2013 at 5:19:48 pm

Thanks for the info Adam! Yeah I went with the 580 3Gb vs. any of the 600 series for the After Effects benchmarks I saw in a few forums. What about the 700 series? Is there anywhere I can find a comparison of performance for the newer cards? Also is there any benefit to be had with multiple GPUs?

Also, is there any place I can go for information about rumors for new releases of C4D and possible future specs?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 21, 2013 at 10:22:40 pm

In most applications the 780 is faster than the 580, but I haven't seen any AE benchmark comparisons. Here's a good review with lots of other benchmarks: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516...

Multi-gpu has no benefit for Cinema, unless you use Octane, and generally speaking most nVidia cards give similar results in Cinema, which is really more dependent on cpu, even when it comes to OpenGL. Not sure about AE, but any CUDA-based application should benefit from multiple GPUs. I don't know if AE benefits from SLI.

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Jun 23, 2013 at 1:51:41 am

Wow! I just looked into Octane and that looks very exciting. Im going to put another gtx 580 in my system will it be able to utilize that? Also what kind of speed increase have you seen in using it? My first render took 17 hours and I'm definitely not used to those kinds of render times. This looks like a real time saver.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 24, 2013 at 2:58:19 pm

Yes, the thing to know about Octane is that it can use as many GPUs as you have in your system, but ONLY if they're identical series (so two 580s would be fine). The one caveat is that it will only use the RAM from one card.

In terms of speed, I think that Octane is much faster than Cinema's physical renderer, but it's hard to compare directly because Octane uses different materials, lights, etc. The default "direct light" kernel is very fast but it's not really GI because it doesn't calculate bounces.

I suggest you try out the demo to see if you like it. There's definitely a bit of a learning curve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]