MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

cinema 4d... wat am i doing wrong!

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Palmer
cinema 4d... wat am i doing wrong!
on Jun 17, 2013 at 6:40:02 am

Hi Guys... Hope you are well

ive just started using C4D this week and i thought i would just save my project, just to se how we are looking.... Its basically two letters (an A and a B) with animated lines running on the edges, there is a floor and a couple of lights..... (see screen shot below)

there are 500 frames and its taken so far.... 17hrs 51 minutes to renders and its only on frame 276.... surly this cant be right?

i have the render setting to best quality so i was wondering if this was causing it?....

i have nothing else running, the computer is a 17" imac pro, 4gig ram and 500 gig Gd with 30 gig remaining.....

if you could help me speed things up a little that would be great

oh... also. in the rendered frames on teh right hand side..... half of them have green lights, half don't?.... what does this mean?... please tell that that it hasn't failed to render the 1st half...

thank you

Jason

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: cinema 4d... wat am i doing wrong!
on Jun 17, 2013 at 1:23:15 pm

The images didn't come through on your post. If you used the image upload feature here on the COW you need to select the image in the window that pops up and copy the embed code and paste it into your post.

The thing I'm most curious about in your posting is when you say you have the "render setting to best quality." Is that referring to the anti-aliasing section of the render settings? Depending on your scene that can have a huge impact on render times. It's also important to consider that the resolution of the images you're rendering has a big impact on render times as well as any features that may require lots of sampling such as: Ambient Occlusion, Subsurface Scattering, Area Lights, Blurry Reflections, Global Illumination, etc.

However, 276 frames in about 18 hours on one 4-core computer isn't that slow. That translates to a little less than 4 minutes per frame. Depending on your render settings and the scene that should be expected.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 17, 2013 at 2:42:12 pm

it's possible to see the images when someone forgets to copy and paste the link by clicking on the poster's name.
It doesn't look like the geometry should be causing slowness though there are a lot of sweeps... without seeing the scene file it's hard to tell since there are many settings in lights and the materials and your render settings that can take a lot longer. 4 minutes per frame might be reasonable with the settings chosen but you might be able to do much better with very similar look.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:06:29 pm

[Brian Jones] "it's possible to see the images when someone forgets to copy and paste the link by clicking on the poster's name."

Thanks for the tip Brian :)

It looks like you're using Global Illumination. Depending on the settings that can increase render times significantly. Is GI the only way to achieve the look you want in this case? Perhaps some well placed lights would achieve a similar result without the overhead that GI adds.

I'm not necessarily saying that you shouldn't be using GI, sometimes it makes the most sense, but have you considered alternatives for this scene?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]