MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Curving Eyeglass Lenses

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris HollandCurving Eyeglass Lenses
by on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:11:50 pm

Hi,

So i made a pair of Eyeglass frames and I want to add lenses but am struggling with the best way to do it.

Right now I have been making a Bezier spline the basic shape of the frame and using an extrude nurb to give it some thickness then trying to use the bend too to bend it.

The issue I am running into is that I can't get it to bend the way i want it to, Kind of like where the center of the lens is almost pulled out and the edges stay where they are. Right now it will bend one way but then there is a gap between the lens and the frame on the other axis.

Any suggestions or better way to make the lenses ?

Thanks.

Chris Holland
Editor/Animator

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Curving Eyeglass Lenses
by on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:47:41 pm

I would select the edge rings on the frames where the lenses go and then use the edge-to-spline command to get a perfectly matching edge ring. Then extrude that spline, or duplicate it, modify the copy as needed, and use a loft nurbs.

Return to posts index

Chris HollandRe: Curving Eyeglass Lenses
by on Jun 12, 2013 at 9:22:45 pm

Thanks Adam. I tried doing that and it worked somewhat but i wasn't sure how to modify the duplicated spline to get the look I was going for.

I also tried using a bezier Nurb and it worked in the fact that I got the bulge I wanted but there is no real thickness to the glass. Is there a way to add z depth or thickness to a bezier nurb ? The Glass Texture Kind of fakes the depth but It doesn't look quite real.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice I will play with it some more. I don't have much experience with modeling. The frames were easy, the lenses not so much.

Chris Holland
Editor/Animator

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Curving Eyeglass Lenses
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 3:16:26 am

You can turn the Bezier nurbs into polygon geometry by using the "make editable" command (C hotkey). Then you can select all polygons and extrude with the caps option turned on to give it thickness (or drop it in a cloth nurbs object).

Return to posts index

Marianne GallagherReal live lenses Re: Curving Eyeglass Lenses
by on Jun 27, 2013 at 4:12:13 pm

Hi Chris,
I'm not sure how accurate you need your lenses to be.
But I thought I would mention that real lenses are cut from discs that are derived from large spheres/diameters. Maybe it would be worth beginning with a larger shape such as this then cutting your frame shape from there? giving you a more accurate shape.
Hope that might give you another wee way of looking at it.
Best,
Marianne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]