MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Displacement map on a cylinder.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Zalesky
Displacement map on a cylinder.
on Jun 11, 2013 at 3:41:30 pm

I'm trying to apply some swirling rings on a bottle that wrap around seamlessly.... I create a nice duplicating line in photoshop, that flows continuously, but when I apply it to the bottle that's been unwrapped, it appears to not flow that well, it has kind of a kink in it...

I used the UV Wizard, then I applied cylinder projection, and applied the art on that.... here are some screen shots

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Displacement map on a cylinder.
on Jun 11, 2013 at 7:45:45 pm

Seems like that's the UV seam and you need to do a better job with the PS file so that they flow together more naturally.

Return to posts index

Dustin Zalesky
on Jun 11, 2013 at 8:05:20 pm

Do you think it kinks more at the top like that because the bottle tapers at that point???

The photoshop file is perfect, it connects in the exact same width as it runs off on the left side, and it's very smooth transition... but on the bottle it has a point to it where it welds together at the seam...

I'm not a UVW wrap pro so... I'm guessing I need to RELAX a select set of polygons, perhaps stretch the top so that it doesn't taper when it wraps??? am i thinking correctly?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 12, 2013 at 12:58:19 am

I don't think it's a problem with your UVs or at least your UVs aren't the only problem.

Look at what Adam suggested again. Your Photoshop texture does not appear to be seamless. To test this you can use the Other > Offset filter to offset the image horizontally using 'Wrap Around' and you should see an obvious seam in the image. You can fix this seam manually once your texture is offset.

If I were a betting man I'd place a wager that you blurred your swish with the edges cropped in the Photoshop file.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dustin Zalesky
on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:59:19 pm

thanks for your reply... is there a way i can keep the area where the bottle tapers from squeezing the texture??? I think it's also becoming more drastic at the top due to that...

The UV coordinates, if I apply a checker pattern... the checkers are normal at the bottom but they hug inward as it goes to the narrow part... is there a way i can stretch/skew the UVS out at the top so they checker pattern stays consistent ?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 17, 2013 at 1:25:11 pm

I have to be honest, I'm not the best UV mapper.

If I were in your situation I might try manually scaling the vertices of the UVs inward row by row with a checkerboard pattern on the bottle. Keep an eye on the render viewport for any problems as you do so and tweak the UVs until they look correct.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dustin Zalesky
on Jun 20, 2013 at 6:35:45 pm

ok you guys were right about the photoshop map, thanks for the offset tip... I fixed it, it's nice now, The UVS still pinch as they go up but it's not a big issue... now i'm having a different issue

My displacement map always seems to be a positive protrusion... I'm using Intensity Centered with a rgb 50 percnt gray background and black stripes on it, and it doesn't matter if i do 100 percent strength with 2 eight, -100 percent strength with 2 height, or what, it always seems to look like the DARK areas are protruding, not indenting... any ideas why?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2269309/bottle_Test.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]