MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Particles, Thinking Particles and Collider objects

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erinn Donnelly
Particles, Thinking Particles and Collider objects
on May 30, 2013 at 8:49:19 pm

Hi everybody,

First of all, thank y'all for all the advice thus far, its been a HUGE help and I'm massively grateful. But now I've got a new question:

Essentially what I'm trying to create is a sphere that moves from the background/infinity to the foreground in a random (or seemingly random) path before being scooped up by a bowl in the foreground. I've tried using splines as paths but it wasn't the look I was going for. Right now, I'm using a particle emitter that emits a single particle that whirls around like I wanted (using the turbulence simulator), but I can't come up with an easy way to "catch" it with the bowl. I made the bowl a rigid body and the particle a collider object, which works, but only when the emitter is placed right over the bowl and it just drops in. (Also, after the two objects collide, C4D starts running REALLY slow, but I guess that's another issue entirely.)

So far, I've tried just using key frames to match up the sphere and the bowl, but its clumsy and for whatever reason, sometimes the sphere doesn't end in the same location.

Is there an easier way to do this? I briefly tried to use thinking particles but couldn't figure out the details of it.

Thanks again for any help!!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Particles, Thinking Particles and Collider objects
on May 31, 2013 at 1:31:54 am

Dynamics priority is higher than the particle's "particle" behaviour, so you can't turn on the Dynamics until you need them. I'd set the Dynamics tag Collision/Trigger to 'On Collision' so that it acts as a particle until it hits the bowl. Then you just have to work out where it is. That assumes your sphere doesn't touch anything else that's a Collider before it gets to the bowl (or isn't rolling on a floor with dynamics etc.)

Return to posts index

Erinn Donnelly
on Jun 3, 2013 at 9:37:45 pm

Thank for the quick reply!

That seems to help, but now I'm having a problem where the sphere won't actually go into the bowl. When I play the animation, the sphere just kind of rides up along side it. I've tried readjusting where the bowl is but that doesn't seem to fix the problem. Does it have something to do with the fact that the bowl is a collider body?

Thanks again,

Erinn

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 3, 2013 at 10:24:29 pm

probably your bowl Shape is set to Automatic in the Collision tab of the dynamic tag - set it to Moving Mesh and it should work.
With it set to Automatic (if that's what it is) the shape (in dynamics) is just a box so the sphere can't go in to it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]