MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Global Illumination Issue - Big stains and splotches

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corrado Carlevaro
Global Illumination Issue - Big stains and splotches
on May 30, 2013 at 7:26:26 am

I've never had GI issues but now I'm rendering a VERY simple scene (cloned white cubes with a bend deformer, one light, one sky, IR+QMC (full animation) with standard settings) I've big brown, black stains on some faces of the cubes. I've tried to switch off all other elements in the scene (floor, background), to change field of view of the camera (pretty wide), to cut up the render in blocks, but nothing to do. When I render a single frame there are no artifacts at all.
Thanks for any help

Corrado Carlevaro

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Global Illumination Issue - Big stains and splotches
on May 30, 2013 at 2:25:47 pm

I would check your GI cache settings ... make sure you aren't using an old or partial GI cache file.

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on May 30, 2013 at 2:39:30 pm

Thank you for your reply,
but I've also unchecked Auto Load and Auto Save from Cache settings, if this is what you mean.
Tried almost every setting.
Frame attached

Corrado

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 30, 2013 at 5:12:34 pm

Can you post the scene file? Hard to say otherwise.

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on May 30, 2013 at 5:46:12 pm

Of course, very kind of you.
One doubt: has animation, Xpresso or stuff like that, something to do when it comes to rendering or is, as I suppose, just a matter of geometry "as you see it"?

6086_worm.c4d.zip

Corrado

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 30, 2013 at 10:44:30 pm

Hmm! I've looked at it and tried a number of different settings, but nothing seems to eliminate the problem.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 31, 2013 at 3:29:01 am

render only 10 frames (48 to 58) and it goes away. Remove the lights and it goes away. Uncheck 'GI Illumination' in the two light's General tab and it goes away. No idea why though, maybe send it to Support, they might know.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 31, 2013 at 3:39:27 am

Yeah, I noticed that it depends a whole lot on the number of frames rendered. First 15, 35, or 50 frames is fine. Render from start to finish and it's a mess.

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on May 31, 2013 at 6:19:05 am

Thank you Adam and Brian, so it's happening on your machines too.
Me too I noticed it depends on the lenght, but I really don't know what to do, it's a very basic setup. I saw in a different forum a frame with the same kind of brownish stains but the guy was rendering an animation with Still Frame settings.
I rebuilt the whole setup from scratches but it's happening again.

Corrado

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 31, 2013 at 2:55:26 pm

I agree with Brian -- send it to Maxon tech support and see if they can sort it out (or report it to the developers if it's a bug).

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on Jun 1, 2013 at 4:47:06 pm

I'll try, frustrating, thank you anyway

Corrado

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 2, 2013 at 8:23:27 pm

I didn't see any problems rendering your scene here. Have you made any progress finding a solution?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on Jun 3, 2013 at 7:36:11 am

Did you render the whole (something like 50, 100 frames) scene? Would you mind telling me your system configuration?
No progress at all, I rebuilt the whole scene from scratch many times but it's always happening, actually I just open a Lighting preset by Tim Clapham, put the cubes inside and get stains.

Corrado

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 3, 2013 at 2:59:24 pm

As I see it, you have several choices:

1. Save out the scene with different render settings so you're only rendering out smaller chunks of frames (use batch render to produce the whole); or

2. Use the physical renderer instead of standard. It produces a better result and in this case isn't much slower ... if you can live with a little grain; or

3. Get vRay for C4D; or

4. Keep banging your head against the wall trying to get standard GI to work.

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:36:07 pm

Point 4. is the one that most suits me. On the other hand I could quit GI, or I could quit that project, or I could quit 3D all around and learn fishing :)

3.I tried Vray for C4D but it's too complicated (those stupid cubes don't need to be "realistic").

2. Physical render is giving me the same stains (pure QMC seems to work better)

1. I'll try that way

0. I'll keep bothering helpful people like you asking for advice

Corrado

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:59:17 pm

You shouldn't have any problems with physical renderer, but remember that it's not just a matter of selecting it. You also have to turn off the standard GI effect and enable GI in the physical render settings.

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on Jun 3, 2013 at 5:18:55 pm

you were right: 30 frames, physical render, standard settings, no stains; grainy but not so slow, considering there's no prepass time; so I assume it's a IR bug

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 5, 2013 at 1:59:59 pm

I rendered using the settings in the file you posted as-is, which I believe was set to output frames 48-100.

I noticed that the image you posted looks like it has some textures that may not have come through in the project file you posted. If that's the only difference between the files perhaps that's a place to start?

I'm working with Cinema 4D R13.061 on Mac OS 10.7.5.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:33:01 pm

It had some background textures, I stripped everything down to Light, Sky, cubes (cylinders, actually, which material is only a pure white Color Channel with Oren-Nayar model), rendered, got stains, uploaded; then opened a brand new file, put inside the Lighting preset by Tim Clapham, cubes, got stains; then opened the Lighting preset, put inside cubes, got stains. As I said I'm the kind of guy who bangs his head against the wall trying to make things work but now I give up, thank you for your time.
I'm working with C4D Studio 14.034 Windows 7.

C.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 11, 2013 at 4:25:03 am

Perhaps the problem is in R14? Seems unlikely but possible.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:39:52 pm

I just did a 30 frames render, same settings an stuff but with a much more complex and editable geometry and with a more complex material (which was the original goal) and it looks like I have no stains. So, could it be a primitive object issue? Now I just started the whole render, I'll let you know

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]