MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Snow mountain texture/material

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex nordstromSnow mountain texture/material
by on May 28, 2013 at 8:10:07 pm

i am making a logo reveal which involves a mountain which then quickly spins around to reveal the logo on the other side. i used the landscape tool to create a mountain i am happy with but it is missing a very critical piece; it needs a texture.

i am trying to get a snowy-on-the-top and rocky-on-the-bottom type of look. the mountain itself has a number of ridges going out from it so i cant just use a gradient. i know there are some plugins out there but i dont want anything that i have to pay for.

to sum it up, i want snow on the top and rocks on the bottom and i have no idea how to do that.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Snow mountain texture/material
by on May 28, 2013 at 10:45:07 pm

I think the best way to do that is to use the effects>terrain mask shader as a layer mask inside of a layer shader. The terrain mask basically allows you to create a gradient based upon height and slope. You can combine multiple masks and other shaders to place different materials on water, steep walls, mountain tops, etc.

Example: 6073_terrainshader.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

alex nordstromRe: Snow mountain texture/material
by on May 28, 2013 at 11:14:26 pm

thank you for the example, but i am still kind of new to cinema 4d. do you think you could explain a bit better how you got the different objects to look so different. all i see is a whole lot of layer masks with gradients and different textures underneath. i have no idea what any of it means.

-mr_abomination

Return to posts index

by on May 28, 2013 at 11:58:12 pm

If you click on the layer mask shaders you'll see the properties pop up in the attributes manager. That should help a little, but it's hard to explain in a post. I'll try to put together a video tut tomorrow.

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2013 at 3:54:40 am

Thank you sir. Also could you explain the advantages/disadvantages of using multiple masks and layers

-mr_abomination

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2013 at 4:26:49 am

And also falloff shader integration with please

-mr_abomination

Return to posts index

by on May 29, 2013 at 4:13:50 pm

Your wish is my command. :-)

http://www.3danvil.com/tutorials/Terrain_Mask/Terrain_Mask/Terrain_Mask.htm...

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2013 at 4:53:57 am

thank you so much, just one other thing. can i use the terrain mask on an alpha channel set to a low altitude and slope as an area to generate trees in. like if i only wanted trees below 100 cm and only on slopes less than 30, how can i make trees generate using the remaining area as a base? can it even be done?

edit: by trees i mean low quality, exact replica pine trees

-mr_abomination

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2013 at 12:47:01 pm

What I would do is put the sprite trees in a cloner and then use the shader effector with the terrain mask to control the visibility of the trees. Example to follow.

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2013 at 1:55:24 pm

Thank you. This sounds like just what i wanted, a whole bunch of tree copies in areas defined by a terrain mask.

-mr_abomination

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2013 at 4:10:02 pm

So after looking at this it seems that the shader effector can't use the terrain mask directly; you have to bake it to a bitmap. Here's a scene file for you to play with:

6085_terrainspritetrees.zip

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2013 at 5:14:15 pm

once again, just what i was looking for.

however me, being quite new to C4D i have no idea how the cloner tool works. do you think you could point me to a good tutorial covering the basics because it looks a bit complicated.

also, just to clear some things up about the scene you sent me:

1. the baked terrain mask is just a white colour, then a terrain mask with the settings to your liking, then a black colour which is then all baked together in a process that i am ignorant of.

2. how does the cloner use the terrain mask? i couldn't find any way that the two connect.

3. why is there a water texture and where is it applied? i couldn't really find out.

-mr_abomination

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2013 at 5:43:34 pm

There's an excellent series of mograph tutorials on this site by Mylenium. I suggest you check them out: http://library.creativecow.net/search.php?q=mylenium

The Cinema help docs are also an excellent resource.

Return to posts index

by on May 31, 2013 at 10:21:17 pm

ok, so i think i am done, but i still cant figure out how to convert my terrain mask to a .jpeg/.png from cinema. help?

-mr_abomination

Return to posts index

by on Jun 1, 2013 at 3:45:53 pm

Create a material with the terrain mask in the color channel and place it on your landscape object. Then give your object a Cinema>Bake Texture tag. In the tag properties, set a file name/destination. Check the color box in the details tab, and then click the Bake button. Simple as that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]