MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

r12 broadcast subdivide polygons on text?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyris Audronisr12 broadcast subdivide polygons on text?
by on May 24, 2013 at 11:27:07 pm

I have broadcast, and am under a time crunch. Please don't say "just upgrade" it's not in the budget. Anyway, there's no sub-polygon displacement, so I have to figure out a way to subdivide the polygons on some extruded text. You know... text outline, then the extrude thing. I have to do it on the existing extruded text (MASSIVE dynamic scene with tumbling letters and rocks... 500+ objects, so it'll take too long to redo the scene). I just got a note from the EP that the text (concrete) needs to have distressed edges, chips, and such.

So, I need to use a displacement map... but I really really need to up the polygon count to make it look right (EP also wanted no bevels, so a displacement map now only effects the sides). so... how do I up the polygon count on the letters without ruining my scene?

Here's the structure of the text right now:

cloner
|

---extrude object

|

-----Letter

It's like this fore each letter.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: r12 broadcast subdivide polygons on text?
by on May 25, 2013 at 4:16:46 am

maybe, maybe not but for what it's worth -- http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~bwf/worn_edges/

Return to posts index

Tyris AudronisRe: r12 broadcast subdivide polygons on text?
by on May 25, 2013 at 5:32:17 am

Almost. I was sooo hopeful. but it only works on the extrusion, and not on the caps for some reason. any way to freeze extruded text? it might work then. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: r12 broadcast subdivide polygons on text?
by on May 25, 2013 at 3:58:14 pm

make the Extruded text editable (C key) - then Connect the extrusion and caps - then go into Point Mode select all the points in the extrusion and run Optimize that will give you one complete object that should work ... Worn Edges is hugely unstable if you start to push the parameters though, so Save a lot and work with one letter at a time (no whole words where you have to push the numbers to get enough edge cracks)

Return to posts index

Tyris AudronisRe: r12 broadcast subdivide polygons on text?
by on May 25, 2013 at 10:40:51 pm

Totally works! Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]