MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Elbow type animation Question

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Barone
Elbow type animation Question
on May 22, 2013 at 4:42:25 pm

I have to do an animation where several mechanical pieces are moving together. As one piece moves up/down, an "elbow" type arm bends along with it.

I've attached a link to a series of images showing what I'm trying to do in an animation.

Can someone please explain how I would join the piece together to move like joints?

http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage9.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=6611&pn=B-SCOPE#6611

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Elbow type animation Question
on May 22, 2013 at 6:30:51 pm

Generally you would do that kind of animation with inverse kinematics [IK]. I'll give you a scene file, but it's a bit of a complicated subject so you're probably best off reading the relevant help file sections.

Example: 6041_robotarm.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Tony Barone
on May 22, 2013 at 7:13:10 pm

Thanks Adam, you definitely provided a good starting point. Can you suggest any tutorial where I might get a better grasp of it?

I just looked at the help system to try to re-create what you did, and I was kind of able to, but using the "Joint Tool" which created "joints" (imagine that!)

I then added some cubes as child objects, but can't quite figure out how you did what you did.

6042_iktest.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 22, 2013 at 8:21:05 pm

Sorry I don't know any tutorials offhand, but the main thing to know is that you don't need joints to use IK. But it's helpful to look at what the joint tool produces. Namely, check out how the joints are aligned and where the axes are placed. You'll have to recreate that alignment/placement for your individual pieces, and then set them up in the same sort of hierarchy. Once you do that you can manually add IK tags, or do what I did and use the "character>commands>create IK Chain command.

To use the command, select the first and last "joints" (objects) in the chain and then run the command. It will automatically create the IK tag and the IK goal.

Return to posts index

Tony Barone
on May 22, 2013 at 8:54:32 pm

[Adam Trachtenberg] "
To use the command, select the first and last "joints" (objects) in the chain and then run the command. It will automatically create the IK tag and the IK goal."

Apparently this is going to take a bit more messing around on my part.

I've tried about 100x doing exactly what you said, but keep getting completely different result.

1. I make 6 total "cubes" for both upper and lower arm, grouping 3 cubes for each segment of arm.

2, I select the "shoulder" cube and end, would be "hand or wrist" cube, then use the Create IK Command and nothing happens.

When I try selecting the Null objects along with the "shoulder" and "wrist" I get more than 1 IK tag with messed up results.

This is very frustrating and the Help system doesn't help much on this one. It just says what you said.
Is there any way you can better explain in a similar step by step method to recreate what you did? Maybe something will click in my mind at some point!

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]